Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

View attachment 556034 View attachment 556035

So this is complicated....
I'm sure the gal on the left is a pullet but unsure of the one on the right. I bought 5 Ameraucanas that are siblings, hatched at the same time. 3 were obvious Roos that have now found homes, and one was an obvious pullet. But this mystery one has me stumped. The higher pigment in comb has me leaning cockerel, although looks more like the pullet as opposed to his now gone cockerel brothers. Both the pullet and the mystery bird have the same temperament where as the cockerel siblings were more aloof and flighty. Maybe he/she is confused? Lol

I also should add, they both exhibit eaquel dominance outside when they spat for fun. :/ weird.
How old are they? If you look at the pullet's comb, a single ridge runs down the middle. Compare to your suspect cockerel... I can't see well in the pics, but does this comb have rows of bumps down each side of the center ridge? That generally means a cockerel, but age matters. Some close ups of the come might help.

Hi there. For the almost year we've had this Ameraucana chicken we thought it was a hen but now we aren't too sure! She hasn't laid yet but I know they're late layers.
Here are a few pics. She looks almost identical to my other hen who is about one month older.
Thanks!
She's a pretty EE. At almost a year, she should be laying by now. I agree with debid that she might be hiding eggs (or a dog or something is eating them). If you can keep her locked up for a few days, she might start using the nest box. There are ways to examine the vent and spread of the pelvic bones to determine if she is laying.

Anyone able to confirm if this is a pullet or a cockerel? I've been pretty certain it's a pullet but recently I've seen "her" facing off with our cockerel. He's seeming to have an entirely different posture than the rest, however this chicken in question seems to have a similar posture to our girls. Is this 7 week old a pullet or a cockerel?

Here the chicken in question is on the right next to our cockerel. The cockerel also feathered much slower than the rest so another reason I've believed this was a pullet.
Lot of comb and wattle for 7 weeks. Pretty sure you have another cockerel.

Hi newbie here- these kids just turned 4 weeks- any obvious on posture and tail shapes. So far combs are small and yellow and also their wattles. Some do have big attitudes. I will update with pictures of their faces once they get a little bigger. Also, can anyone point to a breed guess thread?

Attachments

• IMG_4851.JPG
    IMG_4851.JPG
    878.4 KB · Views: 12
There may be some specific breeds that can be sexed by feather growth, but I have not yet found a reliable way to sex all chicks by feather growth. Some claim there is a way, but I think if it was accurate for all breeds, we would know about it!

If you cross a male that DOESN'T have a slow feathering gene (he's pure for fast feathering) with a female that has the slow feathering gene, the offspring will be wing sexable (only males inherit the delay from the hen). This doesn't happen by chance all that often. And, as with any sexlinked crossing, it works for one generation only.

Amberlinks are bred this way and there are YouTube videos showing them being wing sexed. People see that, don't understand the preparation involved, and think they can sex their chicks this way. They're wrong. If it worked on all chicks, hatcheries wouldn't bother hiring the more expensive vent sexers.

Add to the confusion that in breeding lines, there is a possibility that you'll have a slow feathering gene that doubles up in males only so those chicks feathering very slowly are males. But, again, there are genes that can cause a female to be nearly naked until grown, too, so unless you know the line well, you're guessing what the cause might be.

I think they were maybe in the wrong bin or something because to me they look barred rocks and rhode island red/production red.

There are project color Orpingtons from breeders that might come in similar colors and many other beautiful ones, which is why I asked if you were sure instead of just outright saying they weren't, but they're rare and only come from breeders.

If you got them from TSC then I'm afraid they are definitely not Orpingtons. TSC usually only carries the buff color.

Sorry but they were in the wrong bins :/

BUT.

Both those breeds are wonderful and still great layers so you should like them I think. They look to be all or mostly girls too

OK got a few babies to get opinions on sex of. All are around 6 weeks except SLW is almost 5 weeks. That's within few days as they were purchased at Rural King they were all few days old when I got em.
First one is Brown Leghorn
IMG_20170522_171704163.jpg
IMG_20170522_172006860.jpg

2nd is 2 Dark Brahmas
In next post sorry

Attachments

• IMG_20170522_171935662.jpg
    IMG_20170522_171935662.jpg
    517.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom