Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

First 3 are red sex link pullets. Next is a barred Rock cockerel. After that a light Brahma. I can't see the comb so unsure on sex but would lean towards pullet due to lack of wattles. Next is a mille fleur d'Uccle cockerel. Then a partridge Cochin pullet.
X2
I hatched some Lavender Ameraucana's in March, they are about 8 weeks old now. A few look like this picture below and I was curious if the red on the comb was indicative of being cockerel for their breed?
I don't know for sure, but I'd say pullet :)

I hatched some Lavender Ameraucana's in March, they are about 8 weeks old now. A few look like this picture below and I was curious if the red on the comb was indicative of being cockerel for their breed?
Gee, this one is tough. Part of me thinks pullet, and the other thinks roo.. I am leaning towards pullet. Beautiful chicken by the way! :)

Thanks, they are tough!! I have one with shorter tail feathers and a huge beard and muffs with this same comb... hoping he's my only roo... but that's prob a dream lol. Waiting to hear them crow... my 9 week EE roos are crowing up a storm!

Gee, this one is tough. Part of me thinks pullet, and the other thinks roo.. I am leaning towards pullet. Beautiful chicken by the way! :)

Thanks for your response. It would be a magical world if I could have 1 roo out of my 9 babies..lol
I'm not sure you'd want a rooster.. As much as it is nice to have a protector of the flock they can be aggressive.. and very noisy! That's not to say that all roosters are mean. I have heard that ameracauna roosters are more gentle than aggressive. But still.. lots of noise! The real trouble starts with two roosters..

Last edited:
My Ameracauna chicks are 2 months old, I'm new to chickens and would really appreciate you opinion and help regarding their genders. Thanks!

Thank you for evaluating my flock, i thought we had gotten lucky and only had one or two boys in our bunch but i guess it's best that we know sooner then later. It's interesting that not all of them were Easter Eggers like we thought they were. Do you mind telling me how you knew they were cockerels compared to pullets? So I don't make the same mistake twice and next time buy only pullets.

I'm not sure you'd want a rooster.. As much as it is nice to have a protector of the flock they can be aggressive.. and very noisy! That's not to say that all roosters are mean. I have heard that ameracauna roosters are more gentle than aggressive. But still.. lots of noise! The real trouble starts with two roosters..
We currently have 4, 9 week EE roos. And I'm sure more when we finally find out what all the lavender ameraucanas are. I have them for breeding purposes. Selling two of the EE roos. Keeping all the others. We have a lot of property and I bred all the current EES we have. I don't want a ton obv lol... but 3 would be perfect for our purposes.

Thank you for evaluating my flock, i thought we had gotten lucky and only had one or two boys in our bunch but i guess it's best that we know sooner then later. It's interesting that not all of them were Easter Eggers like we thought they were. Do you mind telling me how you knew they were cockerels compared to pullets? So I don't make the same mistake twice and next time buy only pullets.
Pullets do not start to turn pink in the combs until they are getting close to laying eggs. 2 month old chicks are nowhere near being mature enough for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom