Not Sure If You've Got A Pullet Or Cockerel? Click Here! Thread 2

We have a feed store Rhode Island Red (that I'm sure is really a production red) that I was pretty comfortable is a pullet, but my friend freaked me out and said I should keep an eye on her. She's 8 weeks old. Should I be worried she's a slow developing roo? Thank you! This thread has been so helpful! All 3 chickens below are the exact same age - 8 weeks. (And one lovable old kitty who couldn't care less about these new additions.) Thanks again!
Most certainly a pullet. And yes, Production Red.

Last edited:

Arounf 6 months are they male or female

not sure on the in the back but the first one is a cockerel and i don't think there 6 months but the one in the back i am guessing pullet need a better picture

both pullets!!

How old could they be and ill take a picture of the back one. And for the two pullets are they old I haven't seen them lay eggs at all. I bought them from a flea market I wanted compainship for my small bantam rooster

The one from furthest back
Yes, this Cochin is a boy too. See the thin, pointed red feathers growing at the base of his tail? Only males get that shape of saddle feathers. A female's will look like the rest of the body feathers, short, wide and rounded. They are probably closer to 4-5 months old.

Your bantam pullets are too young to lay eggs yet. You will know they are getting closer when their combs and wattles grow a bit and turn bright red, usually when they are about 6 months old (sometimes more, sometimes less). Cockerels' combs and wattles turn red much earlier, usually by 8-12 weeks, which is often how you can tell the boys from the girls.

Back
Top Bottom