Not sure the breed or sex of this gorgeous chicken. Please help.

Easter egger cockerel
could u please explain how you know it's a boy? I mean I have "molested" this poor bird six ways to Sunday and couldn't decide, and some of y'all here take like 3 seconds to declare it a boy. Is it the neck feathers? What tells you it's a boy? Thank you for your help.

Buying straight run is always a toss up. Even buying sexed chicks you can get a boy. I ended up 4cockerel 2pullets on my first go around 😬.
Thank you. I knew it was a toss up, but so far, it seems we got waaaayyy more boys than girls. oh well.

Thank you. Is an EE part Ameraucana?
EE is generally used for mixed breed chickens that usually lay a colored egg (blue, green) but could instead lay white or brown if they didn’t get a colored egg gene. But boy EE are really just mixed breed. Bc the eggs of EE are usually blue/green, they likely have Ameraucana (an actual American Poultry Association (APA) recognized breed), and Arucana (also APA breed) genes. Arucana have self limiting issues, poor hatch rates, and so the Ameraucana breed was created from the Arucana to get a more robust (compared to Arucana) blue-egg laying chicken.

Fun fact: blue eggs are blue all the way through. Peel back the membrane inside the egg and shell is blue! But do that to s brown egg and you’ll discover a white shell bc brown is only “paint” on the outside of a white shell.

Fun fact 2: to get an “olive egger” one crested a chick from a dad with blue shell gene, and mom with brown egg laying capability. I’m no expert here on the genetics, so I may not be completely accurate here, but a blue egg with brown “paint” looks olive.

could u please explain how you know it's a boy? I mean I have "molested" this poor bird six ways to Sunday and couldn't decide, and some of y'all here take like 3 seconds to declare it a boy. Is it the neck feathers? What tells you it's a boy? Thank you for your help.
For the age, he has a wide comb. Likely a pea comb and probably has 3 rows of “peas” down the comb.

Neck /hackle feathers are pointy.

Red coloring on shoulder areas. Very male trait.

Saddle feathers -between back and tail - are thin, long, pointy on a male.

Sometimes, in comparison to another same breed chick, same age, the legs can look thicker on a male. But not a determining factor.

Back
Top Bottom