Not sure what’s wrong help!

ChickInnMama

Chirping
Feb 21, 2022
This is Charlotte, she is a little Easter egger. I just went out to their coop and was holding her and realized that her eye is goopy and she’s keeping it closed. She also seems to be missing some feathers down that side of her neck but I see not sign of injuries and I haven’t seen her fighting with any of my hens. Any ideas what it might be and any ideas of what I can do the help her? She’s very sweet and I hate that she seems to be in pain. I have some vertmyicin but of course I can’t put that on her eye. So I’m not sure what I could do for her eye or for her neck. You can’t tell much in the picture but her neck on that one side looks almost naked. Thank you!!

Attachments

• CB555015-BDC1-4C07-8CC7-F22E64EE5CDE.jpeg
    CB555015-BDC1-4C07-8CC7-F22E64EE5CDE.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 30
  • BEC6221E-0ABB-4985-8B97-A437C121D19D.jpeg
    BEC6221E-0ABB-4985-8B97-A437C121D19D.jpeg
    379.5 KB · Views: 8
This is Charlotte, she is a little Easter egger. I just went out to their coop and was holding her and realized that her eye is goopy and she’s keeping it closed. She also seems to be missing some feathers down that side of her neck but I see not sign of injuries and I haven’t seen her fighting with any of my hens. Any ideas what it might be and any ideas of what I can do the help her? She’s very sweet and I hate that she seems to be in pain. I have some vertmyicin but of course I can’t put that on her eye. So I’m not sure what I could do for her eye or for her neck. You can’t tell much in the picture but her neck on that one side looks almost naked. Thank you!!
My chicken got its lower eyelid pecked months ago. All I did was add some natural honey and it was cleared up so fast. It gets foamy time to time but never bothers him anymore.

Thank you both! I was thinking maybe someone pecked her but I don’t see anything that looks like that. Maybe debris, I was thinking of going to get a syringe from the store tomorrow and try to gently flush it. Not sure why she’s missing feathers there, but yea, maybe she is rubbing her face trying to clear out her eye? 😬

Thank you both! I was thinking maybe someone pecked her but I don’t see anything that looks like that. Maybe debris, I was thinking of going to get a syringe from the store tomorrow and try to gently flush it. Not sure why she’s missing feathers there, but yea, maybe she is rubbing her face trying to clear out her eye? 😬
My duck had lost a few feathers around her eye when she got foamy eye. On ducks just a result of too much you know what. Think it’s normal.

I actually was able to see a bluish/white mark on her cornea this morning. I do think she was being pecked at… I’m going to watch extra close today to see who’s doing it and remove them for a few days (that worked in our other coop). But is there anything I can put in her eye to help it heal?

I actually was able to see a bluish/white mark on her cornea this morning. I do think she was being pecked at… I’m going to watch extra close today to see who’s doing it and remove them for a few days (that worked in our other coop). But is there anything I can put in her eye to help it heal?
You could rub some honey around her eye as @ChickenAndDucksman reccomended. Other than that I'm not very sure. You may just have to let it heal. Glad you're getting it figured out!

Not in her eye though right? Just around it? All I have is honey from the store, but it does say “local raw honey” and it lists my state so I suppose it is really local, hopefully raw.

Back
Top Bottom