Nothing is going right...I feel like they are all gonna die!

Songster
Aug 30, 2022
Chesterfield, VA
Got 29 chicks from local reputable breeders back in mid Sept...9 Wyandottes and 20 Lav Orpingtons. I cannot say that finding my chickens locally has made any difference...I have lost 4, going to euthanize one tomorrow (more details later) and now have several with slight wheezes and sneezing (no discharge, nothing serious sounding yet, nor odd behavior). I'll list the symptoms and approx timeline of deaths.

1) Nov 5 - Orpington died we believe had something stuck in crop. Didn't think much about it but now think could be related if it had tumors internally.
2) Dec 11 - Wyandotte did not come out of coop, had very puffy face, died.
3) Jan 1 - Orpington last out of coop, seemed to be shaking a bit...ran towards flock and was attacked, ran away and fell over. Isolated one day, next day barely could stand, euthanized
4) Jan 15 - Orpington had caked yellow diarrhea on butt, bathed and isolated. Noticed both normal poop and diarrhea during isolation. Suspected worms gave Valbazen. Seemed to be eating drinking fine next day in isolation. Later afternoon, dead. Necropsy ordered. Results just received will provide details later in post.

CURRENT SITUATION - Have a SWEET Wyandotte hen I am going to have to put down. She has a wry tail and noticed poopy butt on 1/19. Bathed her then and found a LARGE lump near her vent. Thought she was egg bound but no, it is a tumor. Since she was still eating and drinking and seemed happy, we have let her live to see what happens with the tumor. In the last week she has also developed wry neck. Eyes are clear, great appetite, poops fine, walks as well as expected with egg-sized tumor, and is super happy when she interacts with us. I do NOT want to put her down, but am going to do so and send her to get a necropsy for the sake of the flock...which I almost feel is MOOT at this point!

In addition, I have another Wyandotte who has always had a whitish head as compared to the others. SHE has started to develop a wry tail in the past week or two. It is not severe, but it is there. Her comb is definitely much paler than the rest of her sisters (none are very red yet), and I would say she is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. And yet, another (3rd) Wyandotte hen where I am seeing a VERY SLIGHT wry tail (all else normal).

TODAY - I am now noticing at least a few chickens with a SLIGHT wheeze...kind-of a whistle sound, and occasional sneezes. I fear this is the beginning of the end!

Side note: 5 class-A-hole Orpington roosters slaughtered and added to freezer last weekend (earlier than planned), flock down to 20...did not notice ANYTHING odd with the internal organs.

Necropsy Results: Based on the chicken’s age and masses affecting multiple tissues, I suspect lymphoma in this case but microscopic evaluation is needed to rule out other possible causes. Lymphoma is most commonly caused by Marek’s disease and avian leukosis. Microscopic evaluation is pending but may take up to 3 weeks to complete. The 18-week-old, male chicken submitted on 1/20/23 is thin with moderately prominent keel bone. There are variably sized white masses within the lung, liver, mesentery, proventriculus, intestines and adjacent to the heart and kidneys. There is also a 3-cm, firm mass in the bursal region. On cut surface the mass is grayish with areas of yellow necrotic-like tissue. There are no other gross abnormalities observed.

So, I do not know if this is telling me the microscopic eval is going to confirm whether or not it is lymphoma or tell what WHAT caused lymphoma (the vet is out sick, and either way that's 3 weeks away!). IF my tumored hen has the same thing, it's certainly presenting differently than Marek's. I'm wondering if avian leukosis is more likely. Different breeds different breeders but if the Orpingtons were born with leukosis, from what I've read, they could have passed it to the Wyandottes.

I just don't know what to do. If it is Marek's and I clean out all 330 lbs of bedding and disinfect everything, there could still be carriers or infected that could still pass it.

Could the sneezing and wheezing be related to what's been happening with these other chickens? Are the deaths even related? Are the wry tails genetic or a symptom.

And our good friend said chickens are easy...I've been up to my ears in chicken stuff since we started! I don't mind hard work, but I'm feeling very defeated here. Building a sustainable flock seems impossible!

I am considering slaughtering all 9 of the roosters we were not planning on keeping ASAP instead of waiting until 2/12.

Oh god I don’t have a lot of advice or answers for you but it sounds like you’re going through an awful and stressful time.

My contribution is that I have a chicken with a wry tail and it causes her no problems, so maybe that’s not an issue in and of itself — but I’m not sure if wry tails can point to other more serious issues.

I also have a chicken with a lump below her vent — the avian vet said fatty tissue or hernia. She presents normally as well. From what I’ve read, chickens can live fairly well and for a long time with those lumps. I got the suprelorin contraception for that hen (who is 4yo) to see if a break from egg laying takes some of the stress off her system and helps resolve the lump.

Best of luck to you and your flock!

Oh god I don’t have a lot of advice or answers for you but it sounds like you’re going through an awful and stressful time.

My contribution is that I have a chicken with a wry tail and it causes her no problems, so maybe that’s not an issue in and of itself — but I’m not sure if wry tails can point to other more serious issues.

I also have a chicken with a lump below her vent — the avian vet said fatty tissue or hernia. She presents normally as well. From what I’ve read, chickens can live fairly well and for a long time with those lumps. I got the suprelorin contraception for that hen (who is 4yo) to see if a break from egg laying takes some of the stress off her system and helps resolve the lump.

Best of luck to you and your flock!
Your post gave me hope of trying to keep her, but unfortunately the location of her lump causes her to poop all over herself. It also gets on the skin of her lump and I’m sure that is uncomfortable for her. She would need constant attention and if she were a pet, maybe that would be ok. But I am trying to build a large, self-sustaining flock. Though hard to keep that in perspective when you have a hen that becomes pet-like through need of care, if I start down that road I will likely become engrossed in pet chickens and be a very poor backyard chicken farmer indeed. Really sucks tho, having an otherwise fully capable and seemingly happy hen who will be killed by the same hands she trusts to hold and care for it. Ugh!!

If you have diagnosed Mareks or lymphoid leukosis virus, I would close the flock, treat for various problems, and wait until all birds are gone before getting new birds. I do not buy started birds for the reason that you can bring lifelong diseases into your flock. Mareks can last for months to years in the soil and environment around a chicken coop. I always buy vaccinated chicks from hatcheries, or at least feed stores. People sometimes don’t know they have a disease in their flocks, but some also will not be honest about it. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Your post gave me hope of trying to keep her, but unfortunately the location of her lump causes her to poop all over herself. It also gets on the skin of her lump and I’m sure that is uncomfortable for her. She would need constant attention and if she were a pet, maybe that would be ok. But I am trying to build a large, self-sustaining flock. Though hard to keep that in perspective when you have a hen that becomes pet-like through need of care, if I start down that road I will likely become engrossed in pet chickens and be a very poor backyard chicken farmer indeed. Really sucks tho, having an otherwise fully capable and seemingly happy hen who will be killed by the same hands she trusts to hold and care for it. Ugh!!
What the issue with "pet" chickens? Aren't they all pets to you?

If you have diagnosed Mareks or lymphoid leukosis virus, I would close the flock, treat for various problems, and wait until all birds are gone before getting new birds. I do not buy started birds for the reason that you can bring lifelong diseases into your flock. Mareks can last for months to years in the soil and environment around a chicken coop. I always buy vaccinated chicks from hatcheries, or at least feed stores. People sometimes don’t know they have a disease in their flocks, but some also will not be honest about it. Sorry that you are dealing with this.
We are new chicken owners, got both week-old Orpingtons and 4-week old Wyandottes on the same day. No other birds have been added.

No official diagnosis has been rendered yet; the necropsy stated lymphoma was suspected which is commonly caused by Marek’s or leukosis.

Throwing out all 330 lbs of bedding and “disinfecting” the 12x12 coop seems pointless when reading about Marek’s (if that’s what we are dealing with), and you’ve seemed to confirm that stating that it can live for a very long time outside the coop.

My goal is/was to build a sustainable closed flock. What if we are dealing with Marek’s and many do survive? Could we assume they built an immunity? And would it be safe to allow broody hens to raise new chicks?

Nothing about this is simple.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I don't really have many answers for you, but a suggestion. You should share the name of the breeder so others don't use them. It seems they clearly have given you some low quality, disease ridden chickens. Did they tell you they were vaccinated for Marek's?

Back
Top Bottom