Nothing is going right...I feel like they are all gonna die!

I'm so sorry that you had to do that. I feel your grief. It's hard and never gets easy. You just get to the point where you understand that it's what you have to do and you do it.

Shot gun? Whow. I accidentally put one down with a .45 and learned the same lesson. That's why I use a .38 now and do a head shot to the back of the skull. They don't know what hit them blessedly. Many do not even do the post flopping around. I do not want my birds to suffer at all when the end comes to them.

I always tell my birds to fly free and find my flock at the rainbow bridge they will make them welcomed. Makes me feel a little better.

Okay, understand. If I was face to face with you, I would reach up, gently clasp your face in both hands, look you in the eye and say. YOU DID NOTHING WRONG. Period. Marek's is everywhere. It's carried on the wind it's carried on wild bird dander, it's carried on your clothing. You can't get rid of it you can't beat it. All you can do is outsmart it by breeding a resistant flock.

To this day I do not know where my infection came from. My birds were bought from a reputable NPIP breeder who was breeding for resistance. They assured me that I wouldn't have any problems, yet a year later my birds were dropping like flies. I figure it was carried in from a surrounding farm by wild birds but I will never know. It started when my birds were about 14 months old and lasted for 3+ years until the deaths suddenly stopped. I haven't had a definitive MD death for at least 5 years now.

You just can't get away from the stuff. One article I read and God I read a lot of articles said that veterinarians and researchers figure that every farm in America has been exposed to Marek's disease. The key is back to resistance again.

I agree that something to consider is Egyptian Fayoumis. They are genetically resistant to the disease and several other avian diseases. These birds aren't cute and cuddly. They are pretty birds but they are all business. Mine will take treats from my hand but that is it. They are not lap sitters or shoulder setters. Mine scream bloody murder when I dare touch their royal person and the hens have a scream that will make your teeth hurt but by golly they will live and they will give you 2-3 eggs a week. I've lost two from my small flock. One to parasites (you do have to worm them like any other chicken) and one last spring to some weird infection that I still has me puzzled. I lost a rooster at the same time to the same symptoms but they were the only two of a flock of almost 50.

See, a flock of 50. There is life after Marek's disease. You just got to learn how to out fox the fox as the saying goes.

Don't worry. They will find what is happening to your flock and hopefully if not MD it will be something that can be controlled.

Just hang in there. :hugs

I'm so sorry this is happening to you! I don't really have many answers for you, but a suggestion. You should share the name of the breeder so others don't use them. It seems they clearly have given you some low quality, disease ridden chickens. Did they tell you they were vaccinated for Marek
Got 29 chicks from local reputable breeders back in mid Sept...9 Wyandottes and 20 Lav Orpingtons. I cannot say that finding my chickens locally has made any difference...I have lost 4, going to euthanize one tomorrow (more details later) and now have several with slight wheezes and sneezing (no discharge, nothing serious sounding yet, nor odd behavior). I'll list the symptoms and approx timeline of deaths.

1) Nov 5 - Orpington died we believe had something stuck in crop. Didn't think much about it but now think could be related if it had tumors internally.
2) Dec 11 - Wyandotte did not come out of coop, had very puffy face, died.
3) Jan 1 - Orpington last out of coop, seemed to be shaking a bit...ran towards flock and was attacked, ran away and fell over. Isolated one day, next day barely could stand, euthanized
4) Jan 15 - Orpington had caked yellow diarrhea on butt, bathed and isolated. Noticed both normal poop and diarrhea during isolation. Suspected worms gave Valbazen. Seemed to be eating drinking fine next day in isolation. Later afternoon, dead. Necropsy ordered. Results just received will provide details later in post.

CURRENT SITUATION - Have a SWEET Wyandotte hen I am going to have to put down. She has a wry tail and noticed poopy butt on 1/19. Bathed her then and found a LARGE lump near her vent. Thought she was egg bound but no, it is a tumor. Since she was still eating and drinking and seemed happy, we have let her live to see what happens with the tumor. In the last week she has also developed wry neck. Eyes are clear, great appetite, poops fine, walks as well as expected with egg-sized tumor, and is super happy when she interacts with us. I do NOT want to put her down, but am going to do so and send her to get a necropsy for the sake of the flock...which I almost feel is MOOT at this point!

In addition, I have another Wyandotte who has always had a whitish head as compared to the others. SHE has started to develop a wry tail in the past week or two. It is not severe, but it is there. Her comb is definitely much paler than the rest of her sisters (none are very red yet), and I would say she is definitely at the bottom of the pecking order. And yet, another (3rd) Wyandotte hen where I am seeing a VERY SLIGHT wry tail (all else normal).

TODAY - I am now noticing at least a few chickens with a SLIGHT wheeze...kind-of a whistle sound, and occasional sneezes. I fear this is the beginning of the end!

Side note: 5 class-A-hole Orpington roosters slaughtered and added to freezer last weekend (earlier than planned), flock down to 20...did not notice ANYTHING odd with the internal organs.

Necropsy Results: Based on the chicken’s age and masses affecting multiple tissues, I suspect lymphoma in this case but microscopic evaluation is needed to rule out other possible causes. Lymphoma is most commonly caused by Marek’s disease and avian leukosis. Microscopic evaluation is pending but may take up to 3 weeks to complete. The 18-week-old, male chicken submitted on 1/20/23 is thin with moderately prominent keel bone. There are variably sized white masses within the lung, liver, mesentery, proventriculus, intestines and adjacent to the heart and kidneys. There is also a 3-cm, firm mass in the bursal region. On cut surface the mass is grayish with areas of yellow necrotic-like tissue. There are no other gross abnormalities observed.

So, I do not know if this is telling me the microscopic eval is going to confirm whether or not it is lymphoma or tell what WHAT caused lymphoma (the vet is out sick, and either way that's 3 weeks away!). IF my tumored hen has the same thing, it's certainly presenting differently than Marek's. I'm wondering if avian leukosis is more likely. Different breeds different breeders but if the Orpingtons were born with leukosis, from what I've read, they could have passed it to the Wyandottes.

I just don't know what to do. If it is Marek's and I clean out all 330 lbs of bedding and disinfect everything, there could still be carriers or infected that could still pass it.

Could the sneezing and wheezing be related to what's been happening with these other chickens? Are the deaths even related? Are the wry tails genetic or a symptom.

And our good friend said chickens are easy...I've been up to my ears in chicken stuff since we started! I don't mind hard work, but I'm feeling very defeated here. Building a sustainable flock seems impossible!

I am considering slaughtering all 9 of the roosters we were not planning on keeping ASAP instead of waiting until 2/12.
Did the breeder inoculate all the chicks for Marek's first off? If not then it will spread throughout your flock until they can't stand/walk and basically starve to death. Some might make it though.
For the sneezing/wheezing- use Vet R/X or another brand in a larger bottle to add to drinking water since you have more than 10 birds.

Add a probiotic to their water or feed as well which will help with their messy butts.

Give them fresh some veggies (broccoli , spinach, squash, etc.)and fruit(pears, apples, watermelon, bananas, etc.). Not too much though- they'll start having messy droppings again.

A secured heat lamp in one corner for the ones that are looking for a little extra warmth. Makes sure it's secured separately from the electric cord. I tie the handle to a nail in the wood in case the chickens knock the lamp loose. Make sure if it gets knocked down the string on the nail is not long enough to get anywhere near the bedding, straw, etc. if the lamp hangs down. Don't want to set your bird's/coop on fire.

I've never experienced a twisted tail or neck. I know it happens in chicks.

For your hen with the tumor- is it stationary or does it move around under her skin when touched? If it moves you can probably have it removed. If she is eating and drinking fine and living happily- I wouldn't cull her. Pet chickens are great too.

Best of luck with your flock.

For the sneezing/wheezing- use Vet R/X or another brand in a larger bottle to add to drinking water since you have more than 10 birds.

Add a probiotic to their water or feed as well which will help with their messy butts.

Give them fresh some veggies (broccoli , spinach, squash, etc.)and fruit(pears, apples, watermelon, bananas, etc.). Not too much though- they'll start having messy droppings again.

A secured heat lamp in one corner for the ones that are looking for a little extra warmth. Makes sure it's secured separately from the electric cord. I tie the handle to a nail in the wood in case the chickens knock the lamp loose. Make sure if it gets knocked down the string on the nail is not long enough to get anywhere near the bedding, straw, etc. if the lamp hangs down. Don't want to set your bird's/coop on fire.

I've never experienced a twisted tail or neck. I know it happens in chicks.

For your hen with the tumor- is it stationary or does it move around under her skin when touched? If it moves you can probably have it removed. If she is eating and drinking fine and living happily- I wouldn't cull her. Pet chickens are great too.

Best of luck with your flock.
I’m so sorry, Are you a seasoned chicken keeper, This sounds like you may have gotten the chickens who were not cared for. I feel so sorry for baby chicks, everyone trying to touch, all thrown together not being really cared for. Tell the supplier as these baby chicks my be infected with Avian flu or worse… sounds respirator is the cause. It’s common to loose one ever so often! Your loss is excess! 😢

I’m so sorry, Are you a seasoned chicken keeper, This sounds like you may have gotten the chickens who were not cared for. I feel so sorry for baby chicks, everyone trying to touch, all thrown together not being really cared for. Tell the supplier as these baby chicks my be infected with Avian flu or worse… sounds respirator is the cause. It’s common to loose one ever so often! Your loss is excess! 😢
did you check for sticky butt? that sounds like a symptom.

Back
Top Bottom