Now I see why people were ranting... some answers please????

Momma_Cluck

Songster
11 Years
Jun 11, 2008
N. West Michigan
We bought a "little Giant" with egg turner last month-- ran it thru our 1st hatch with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever-- stayed right at 100f the whole time!

Now those little fluffy-butts are healthy and happy, we lost only 1 during the hatch...

BUT: THIS batch is 100% different!!!

Of course, now instead of my own "mutt" eggs, I have my special Polish eggs I bought for My DD's Birthday in there---
day one-- the temp stayed at 100f for the 1st 6 hours, so stopped worrying... until I came home from the store to find it at 106f!!

It took HOURS to get it back to 100f (down to 95-- up to 102-- down to 97-- back up to 102.... EERG!!!) Now it stayed between 99f and 100f for 24 hours-- then WHAMO!! Up to 102f again!!!!

Can I even look forward to a hatch-- or can I pretty much figure they are dead?
I have about 18 other "mutt" eggs in with them, shoulkd I crack one to see "whats up"???

Candling NEVER works for us... go figure....

ANY help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated.

You still have a good chance since if it went to 106 in the time you went to the store, the internal rgg temps most likely didn't get that high. Even with a 106 spike for a short time, eggs can, and have survived w/out problem. Candle in a few days expecting the worse, and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised! Good Luck!!
smile.png

When you adjust temp, do you wait at least 1 hour before you adjust again. My homemade bator has jumped from 98 to 102. I don't adjust. I wait and it levels back out and majority of the time it sets at 99.x. I have had numerous successful hatches. My advice, don't be too quick to adjust the temp.

I have eggs in 2 Little Giants right now. I highly dislike them. My one was doing great. Temp at 100 for 4 days then I woke up one morning to a temp of 120!!

I was sure my eggs were fried!! I almost tossed them but thought I would give them a chance. Well I'm glad I did! Today is Day 18 and all are fine! I'm looking forward to a great hatch despite the horrible temp spike!

Good luck!

Laurie

I have a 3 LGs and have had good luck. I have 2 thermometers in there and they read 1 degree off. My temp goes down a degree or 2 (seems to happen during the night) but have never had a high spike. I just leave it alone and it goes back up. I have learned that the room the bator is is has to have a stable temp and no drafts. It is a little chilly in the room today so i turned on the fire place to keep it warmer in the there.

Back
Top Bottom