Revan

Songster
Jul 3, 2017
Modoc County, California
Hello. I'm looking into expanding my flock into an all out business and have been looking around the internet for information. I have found NPIP, and know it's testing for diseases in the flock, but exactly how the the process go? Do I need my flock all established and grown and laying eggs already or do they start by testing my growing birds, my future breeders? Do they come out and test the chickens themselves or do I need to send samples in myself? Is there's a charge for testing the birds and if so, about how much? I live in Northern California, in a very rural area.

On top of that, in my search, I've come across a 'vs 9-3 form', whatever that means, which someone on Facebook told me I need in order to buy poultry outside of the state. I literally just ordered chicks from cacklehatchery the other day and they haven't said a word to me about any form. Or is this only for established poultry farms?

All this is confusing to me, but I want to do everything the legal way. Help please. :(

I'm not sure if requirements differ state by state, all I know is what someone in MN told me.

Your birds have to be 4 months old to test. Some places have grants that cover testing, and some don't. You'll have to ask your state vet.

To become NPIP, they will do an inspection of how you manage your flock and incubation/chick rooms if that applies. You cannot free range, and keeping other poultry species requires a lot of extra hoops to jump thru and more money spent.

The 9-3 form is usually available upon request. It's technically necessary, but I'd say 70--80% of people skip NPIP and the 9-3. Make sure you do fill it out if you do get certified and sell birds, or they'll get mad. Hope this helps.

Thry have to be old enough to be outside before they test them.. And someone comes out swabs throats puts it in a vile and thats it, takes about 11 days for results to come in. We did ours this year.
Some places require another test too that is a blood draw. Not all.

Back
Top Bottom