Questions about NPIP program

And unlike many States, TN DOES have a provision for paying people whose animals are destroyed. IF your legislature chooses to find it, and NOT for full value.

The commissioner through rules and regulations may establish procedures for the payment of indemnities for animals destroyed under authority of this chapter. Indemnity under this section is not intended to be a full reimbursement but a partial compensation based on, but not limited to, the value of the animal and the availability of funds for that purpose. Indemnification may be disallowed in cases where the owner is in violation of this chapter.

T.C.A. § 44-2-105

Acts 1993, ch. 109, § 1; T.C.A. § 44-2-1305.

Thank you for such a thorough clarification! I figured there must be some truth scattered throughout that comment but it didn't quite make sense to me how the NPIP program could be so widespread if there were so many blatant drawbacks to becoming certified.

There is one last thing that wasn't entirely clear to me - does the NPIP requirement for outside breeders extend to purchasing hatching eggs, or does it only apply when obtaining live fowl?

Thank you for such a thorough clarification! I figured there must be some truth scattered throughout that comment but it didn't quite make sense to me how the NPIP program could be so widespread if there were so many blatant drawbacks to becoming certified.

There is one last thing that wasn't entirely clear to me - does the NPIP requirement for outside breeders extend to purchasing hatching eggs, or does it only apply when obtaining live fowl?

First, I should qualify that I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't intended to be legal advice. I've spent years in the legal field, it influences how I sound, and I'm familiar with a number of broad legal concepts.

Having said that, if you read here, you will see that the NPIP program includes not just birds but also hatching eggs. See also. (I can link the federal register as well, but its BORING and not well orgainzed). I conclude, therefore, that obtaining hatching eggs from non-NPIP sources would also be violation of your NPIP agreement. Given a few moment's thought, that makes sense as well (unlike many Gov't mandates) because Salmonella Pullorum can be vertically transmitted (that is, transmitted from Mother to egg), and eliminating Pullorum and Typhoid from the flocks is the goal of the program.

So, why am I NPIP certified, even though I maintain a closed flock, don't sell my birds, and have no plans to sell my birds in the near term?

because its free (to me - FL subsidizes it, unlike many States), it tells me that my flock is free of certain devastating diseases on the date of testing (so I don't continue my culling project in hopes of producing a useful bird I can't later in good conscious sell because its a known carrier of - or has known exposure to - some terrible disease in poultry), and because twice a year, I get to talk with my local Ag guy about what he's seeing in the surrounding counties, and based on that, make decisions about my own biosecurity practices.

What do I give up? Twice a year I get a call asking if I can make my flock available for testing at some day in the coming week, plus about two hours of my time to help with testing. If I say no? They just don't recertify. The Department is too busy to do a spot inspection on someone who chooses to discontinue participation in the absence of a known or suspected outbreak. Your local gov't agents may be different, but every place I've ever lived, if the agent doesn't have to drive across multiple counties to come see you, he (or she) isn't going to go out of his way to make your life difficult when you tell them you don't want to participate anymore.

and when I do finally choose to sell? I'll be able to honestly say I've been continuously NPIP certified since September 2021 , and my property has been registered with the State Dept of Ag since roughly the same date. If people then assume I've been in business for a while? That has value to me as well.

I figured there must be some truth scattered throughout that comment but it didn't quite make sense to me how the NPIP program could be so widespread if there were so many blatant drawbacks to becoming certified.
Love this, btw. It's a great way to think about offered facts whose implications aren't matched broadly by behaviors. Wish more used such challenges to test their thinking on a subject.

I have and will sell and will never be npip. I don't know about what you tagged except that your whole flock will be euthanized is there's a problem and it only good for a year. Also what about buying from a npip? As in the test was only good when it was conducted, what about every day thereafter? Someone could in theory be fine one day get a pass and literally the next day come down with something. I think ita all a crock.
Thank you for people like you. I will never be NPIP.

First, I should qualify that I'm not a lawyer, and this isn't intended to be legal advice. I've spent years in the legal field, it influences how I sound, and I'm familiar with a number of broad legal concepts.

Having said that, if you read here, you will see that the NPIP program includes not just birds but also hatching eggs. See also. (I can link the federal register as well, but its BORING and not well orgainzed). I conclude, therefore, that obtaining hatching eggs from non-NPIP sources would also be violation of your NPIP agreement. Given a few moment's thought, that makes sense as well (unlike many Gov't mandates) because Salmonella Pullorum can be vertically transmitted (that is, transmitted from Mother to egg), and eliminating Pullorum and Typhoid from the flocks is the goal of the program.
Some people are dedicated advocates and should never be trusted no matter how experienced or educated they try to sound. NPIP will kill your flock if you take sales away from any of any of their mapped regions.

Some people are dedicated advocates and should never be trusted no matter how experienced or educated they try to sound. NPIP will kill your flock if you take sales away from any of any of their mapped regions.

That's quite the slur to throw in my direction. How about some evidence for the claims you are posting re: NPIP on various threads. Not proof, mind you, simply evidence which sugggests your claims are more likely than not? I'll lower the bar for you.

Back
Top Bottom