Legal to Ship Chicks From California?

Lenarta

Chirping
Aug 30, 2019
Is it legal to ship day-old chicks from California without NPIP certification? If my memory serves, it's illegal to ship to me without it, but Google hasn't yielded results when I search going out of California. What about within CA? Which other states require certification?
I'm afraid to get my flock certified because you have to sign that agreement that they're allowed to cull your flock if one tests positive, and mine are free-range and have a lot of contact with wild birds, though I haven't had any die from sickness, yet. If any seen especially sick, they come in the house for some tlc until they're better.

It would be illegal to ship to another state without following their import regulations, which all states have. In most, if not all states, you could only ship from an NPIP certified flock. You can check different states for their regulations to be sure, as they are mostly a little different. Some states require an import permit.

Some states may ban all interstate shipping due to the current outbreak of highly pathogenic Avian Influenza. As far as shipping inside the state, you should check with the state Ag department.

Is it legal to ship day-old chicks from California without NPIP certification? If my memory serves, it's illegal to ship to me without it, but Google hasn't yielded results when I search going out of California. What about within CA? Which other states require certification?

As others have said, the States the chickens are passing thru get a say, and they have said that some combination of origination from an NPIP participating flock, VS 9-3 form documenting that, and/or a CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) is required. A few have additional requirements, or have suspended all imports due to the current HPAI outbreak. Depends on the State.

I'm afraid to get my flock certified because you have to sign that agreement that they're allowed to cull your flock if one tests positive, and mine are free-range and have a lot of contact with wild birds, though I haven't had any die from sickness, yet. If any seen especially sick, they come in the house for some tlc until they're better.

You live in CA. You think your consent on a form matters? Check your state's recent efforts to address Virulent Newcastle Disease. I guarantee you, not every bird culled came from an NPIP participating flock.

As to what I infer from your statement? I don't pretend to be a good person - frankly I'm bad at it - but I do make effort at being a responsible person. Your statement *suggests* irresponsibility on your part, however well meaning you may erroneously believe it to be, in your ignorance. Perhaps I've misinterpreted. As i said, I'm bad at "person"-ing.

Last edited:
As others have said, the States the chickens are passing thru get a say, and they have said that some combination of origination from an NPIP participating flock, VS 9-3 form documenting that, and/or a CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) is required. A few have additional requirements, or have suspended all imports due to the current HPAI outbreak. Depends on the State.
Thank you so much! I'll definitely start researching that; an alternative that won't kill all of my birds because of one's illness was my dream.
You live in CA. You think your consent on a form matters? Check your state's recent efforts to address Virulent Newcastle Disease. I guarantee you, not every bird culled came from an NPIP participating flock.
That's true. I live very rurally for CA, though and it's unlikely that any representative would even drive within even twenty minutes of my property. I hatched all myself, except four someone gave to me, and thirteen chicks I got this year from a friend. So far I haven't been able to find anything illegal about that, so, out of ignorance I'd guess the State would leave my birds alone, unless I got them NPIP certified.
As to what I infer from your statement? I don't pretend to be a good person - frankly I'm bad at it - but I do make effort at being a responsible person. Your statement *suggests* irresponsibility on your part, however well meaning you may erroneously believe it to be, in your ignorance. Perhaps I've misinterpreted. As i said, I'm bad at "person"-ing.
Which statement? The whole thing? I totally get where you're coming from, I'm terrible at profiling, especially in writing with no facial expressions and tones to go with. ;P
I guess I'm wondering where you think I'm being irresponsible; the free-ranging part is the only thing I could find; as well as perhaps not wanting my birds to be culled for one's sickness (that is, my assumption that my birds could get sick)? Or perhaps my ignorance as to if CA exports could be regulated in this manner? I dunno, maybe I'm grasping at straws here. Perhaps, more likely, it's the tone of the entire statement?
If it's the tone, I totally get that. I have zero expertise in making my letters sound my tone.
If the question itself; I knew a long time ago, but when googling recently for possible changes and bad memory I found the information strangely difficult to find. I suppose it was lazy, asking on here, but I really don't have enough time in my life right now.
I just turned 18, and am in highschool, so I know I definitely have a lot to learn, especially responsibility-wise, and would love to learn any way I could be more so, especially with my birds. I've been keeping them for only a year, but in that time the only ones I've lost were thanks to a neighbor's dog or coyote that dug under the fence, then jumped through a small hole at 5' in my run, a stray dog my mom brought home and let out at a time we didn't have my chickies away (my aussie loves my chickens; I trained him), one of the chicks I assisted after having pipped three days before, who laid on her side in "egg position" and wouldn't get up (I dripped water to her beak, so it wasn't dehydration caused by me).
I had a couple roos get very sick once; acting a bit lethargic and cold and staying away from the others at food time (I had noticed slightly glossy eyes two weeks before, but only gave him some extra food and water apart from the other roos, so maybe that was irresposible of me but I think it's just needing more experience to know when something's wrong), but after even just a few hours in the house, with a hot, wet chick mash and some hugs and less-than-freezing mountain water (they wouldn't drink lukewarm or hot) water, they perked up. we kept them in the house a couple weeks after that, then re-integrated them back to my roo flock.
I don't have reason to think my birds would contract, or even die from, pollorum, typhoid, influenza, or any of the other diseases covered by NPIP, but on the off-chance that any was, because I can't monitor all wild birds, or even all trespassers, I wouldn't want my entire flock to be killed inhumanely and confused, with no one they know nearby, especially if I could have quarrantined them to their own, only-my-family-eats-these-eggs flock and they could have lived long, wonderful lives.

Sorry this was so long, I was trying to cover some of the answers I could think of, while I had a sliver of time, though maybe I didn't need to. Thank you so much for your answer!
Sorry, gotta go.

Last edited:
It would be illegal to ship to another state without following their import regulations, which all states have. In most, if not all states, you could only ship from an NPIP certified flock. You can check different states for their regulations to be sure, as they are mostly a little different. Some states require an import permit.

Some states may ban all interstate shipping due to the current outbreak of highly pathogenic Avian Influenza. As far as shipping inside the state, you should check with the state Ag department.
Thank you so much for taking the time for writing this!

And you too, @U_Stormcrow! I just realized I didn't thank you as much as I wanted to!

Its fine. I lack the empathy to much care - part of why my tone is often so abrasive, even w/o the accounting for the additional uncertainty of dead print on a cold page, absent inflection, posture, and all the myriad clues of body language and vocal character.

vND in CA is a highly dangerous disease to poultry. Much like HPAI making its way thru the eastern half of the nation right now. The only effective method of eradication, draconian and positively medieval though it is (I think the practice dates to the 1600s?) is to cull all birds which have been potentially exposed to a bird known to be infected.

and CA, like all of the States, has the authority as an exercise of their "Police Powers" to take drastic actions to control disease, including livestock disease. Those actions include the culling of uninfected livestock. Many states don't even compensate (at livestock value) for the killings. They may do so regardless of whether or no a citizen has signed some sort of consent form.

"Police Powers" in the legal sense of the term, not "police powers" meaning the neighborhood cop.
Some people have chosen to try and hide their birds from the State in the event of disease outbreaks - or to move them elsewhere - and by doing that, have helped spread the disease to others, resulting in yet more animal deaths. That was the potential irresponsibility I inferred from your comment. In protecting their "pet", they doomed others.

as a practical matter, the US Legal System provides no adequate remedy when that occurs. Even if a judgement can be secured, few of us possess the resources to pay damages when our actions result in the deaths of thousands, or hundreds of thousands, of animals.

and I do hope that helps.

Then you should keep a closed flock, you should not be selling or shipping chicks.
Perhaps. I three-quarters-of-the-way disagree with you, as I don't think fear of all my pets being killed if one tests positive for a virus that generally doesn't kill adult birds, and perhaps is only positive because she has antibodies, disqualifies me from selling chicks to pay for feed.
I haven't researched the accuracy of the tests in awhile, so don't take me at face value.

If your reason for what you said is that I shouldn't sell sick chicks to anyone, I 100% agree with you. Fortunately, I am very hygienic for all my animals, and it is EXTREMELY unlikely any chicks of mine would be sick, as none have been.
Every one of the chicks I've raised have lived to adulthood, except for one of my assists and a chick that squeezed through the run right as a dog came.

Lmk your reasons.:)

Back
Top Bottom