How much does NPIP certification cost?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
I posted a similar thread a while back, but figured I'd open this up highlighting a more specific question. For those of you who may have seen my thread on creating bantam EE's, I am helping a friend create a breeding setup to sell chicks from her flock. Just a small scale business, starting with 3 breeds this year and hoping to add 3 more next year. Not all of the local breeders have NPIP certification, so I figured that as long as we didn't ship eggs, and kept it small NPIP probably wasn't necessary, and wasn't worth it. Now i'm beginning to feel uneasy about the whole thing. I was going to include my flock in the business until I found out they had ALV recently. I could have been breeding and selling sick chicks had I started before I noticed symptoms in my birds.
I'm starting to feel like NPIP, or some kind of testing at least is the responsible thing to do, and I am really starting to consider it. I know its a lot of work though, requiring a vet visit, testing, setup inspection etc. What are your opinions? How much does it cost? Even if we didn't do NPIP, do you think theres some kind of testing I can get to at least know that the birds are clean and healthy? I have a good feeling they are, but since my ALV episode I'm unsure. Especially because I help with her flock a lot, and my birds are infected. I have been doing the best I can on my biosecurity, but you never know.
I'd like to hear everyone's opinions. I'm not sure if we have a vet nearby that will do any avain testing, but I do know of two who see rabbits.
When I looked at another breeders site who had NPIP, it said she tested for Avian influenza, and Salmonella, is there anyway I could just get those tests?
Thanks for the help, I'm really excited to do some breeding and have chicks, but this has been nagging me for a little bit now. Thanks for your help.

I’ve been wondering about the same thing recently - looking forward to seeing what the hive mind here has to say!
Me to, thanks for bumping the thread. An article I read said it can cost between 100-300$, but I know testing/pricing/requirements can vary per state. I also know that you have to do some kind of testing/inspection (or something similar) annually. So I'm not sure what it costs to get that done either. 🤔

I did some internet searching and saw a class in Georgia for $500 but wasn’t clear on the details. And it seems odd to only have a class available in one state… we need some experienced folks to chime in!
Yes, I was just going to bump this thread.
I also read an article saying 100-300$ depending on what your local tester costs. They also said you could become a tester, and that must be what the class is. The article also said that they had to pay 400-600$ to get retested, or something like that.
I'm also wondering what others think about just getting tests done through a lab rather than NPIP. Or if that would be worth it or not.
Hopefully some experienced people will chime in!

Just found this thread from a while back, it has very helpful info though!
It is for NC, so anyone who lives in a different state will likely have a different cost. It does put the process into detail which is very helpful, and makes the whole thing sound much more doable. It also says who to call. Maybe someone on here will find it helpful, I sure did! :D
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/npip-certification-for-nc.305001/

know its a lot of work though, requiring a vet visit, testing, setup inspection etc. What are your opinions? How much does it cost?

It's gonna vary state to state. In NY and VT, a tester comes out to test your birds for Pullorum, which involves getting a drop of blood. They do this by plucking some feather from under the wing, poking the bird so it bleeds a little, and then collecting that blood in a loop.

You can also opt into AI testing, which a lot of states now also require for shipping, but it isn't something that's just included right away, you have to ask.

Then they also need to look over your premises to make sure the birds are kept in good conditions. They don't expect them to be pristine or anything, but no huge piles of filth or obvious things like dead bodies, etc (yes, my tester told me she has had to fail people for the premise inspection for these reasons before). I usually just clean my coops out the day before the testing and we're good to go.

As for cost, in these two states it's free. In some states it costs money. You could contact the person in charge of the program in your state and ask about that. You can find who that would be here.

ven if we didn't do NPIP, do you think theres some kind of testing I can get to at least know that the birds are clean and healthy? I have a good feeling they are, but since my ALV episode I'm unsure. Especially because I help with her flock a lot, and my birds are infected. I have been doing the best I can on my biosecurity, but you never know.

Yes. Getting it done through a vet will probably cost an arm and a leg, though. There's a laboratory, Zoologix, that can do testing for you. I know the poultry respiratory panel, which tests for most of the infectious, incurable respiratory diseases is $95. They offer testing for tons of other things as well. You can see a full list of the testing they offer here.

Just to add, NPIP testing only tests for those things I mentioned - it wouldn't have caught the ALV in your birds, it wouldn't catch any of the respiratory diseases, it wouldn't catch Marek's, etc. So having an NPIP flock, or buying from NPIP breeders only, doesn't guarantee that the birds don't have those things. It only guarantees they don't have Pullorum, and maybe AI.

Back
Top Bottom