NPIP Certification for NC

muddstopper

Crowing
14 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Murphy NC
I usually like to get my information from the proper sources but have found the NCDA to be a joke when asking about NPIP certification. You talk to people there and they promise to get back to you or have someone call, but it just doesnt happen. So, My question to the people here is, how many of you have gotten your NPIP certification in the State of NC. What steps did you take to get this done, more importantly, does anyone have a phone number/name of someone I can call to get more information.

Some questions I have are;

1. I realize the entire flock has to be tested before the initial certification can be issued, but after that initial first testing, can I purchase the testing equipment and do the testing myself, or do I always have to use a certified tester, ( the closest one I am aware of is almost 200miles from me), come and do the testing. I believe some states will allow you to do your own testing provided you take some classes to become properly trained. This is what I would prefer to do since I feel it wouldnot be fair for me to have to pay someone to drive halfway across the state to test my small flock every year.

2. I realize to transpost birds across state lines, they should be tested/vaccanated first, even small chicks, but what about transporting hatching eggs across state lines. Does the NPIP certification allow one to transpost or mail eggs across state lines provided the eggs originate from a NPIP certified flock. This is for incomeing and outgoing eggs.

3. If I purchased another bird from a npip certified flock that I later introduce to my own flock, does this require additional testing of my flock to maintain my NPIP status. And, if I purchase a bird from a non NPIP flock, but test this bird and find it negative, can I go ahead and introduce this bird to my flock after a quaranteened period of time, without jeapordizeing my NPIP status.

4. Cost. Testing kits seem relatively cheap and the test are pretty simple to do. Pull some blood, drop it in the anitgen and watch for the color change. Sounds simple, what should I expect to pay someone to do the testing for me, provided I am not allowed to test my own flock.

I will probably have more questions once I learn a little more about the NPIP process. I have also been told by the NCDA that positive test results are rare in the State of NC

I have spent hours over the NC Dept. of Ag website; to no avail. I have emailed the state vets in hopes of getting a response... but why aren't there any GOOD resources for backyard chicken keepers? it's frustrating!

I sent an email and got a response with a few hours. They had someone to the farm within a few weeks. We have a flock of 15. It took about an hour and a half (at most) to test all the chickens... And that included set up and clean up of the testing site. The tech that came out was extremely knowledgeable and very friendly! She was downright awesome! She handled my flock with care and even took time to cuddle the ones who were showing signs of stress :) there is nothing to help on the NC ag website. But if you contact the state vets, they will answer all your questions. The tech that is assigned to the area that I am in is amazing! OK, so I did feel a little like "the hot zone" when she got all geared up... But they take great bio security measures and are very professional. I did my research before deciding to have my flock NPIP certified. I'm glad that I can say I did. If I can be of any other assistance please let me know. I hope I was helpful :)

Yes you were very helpful, thank you so much.........are they extremely hard to please about the area the chickens live in....like super nice houses, every bit of the poo up from the yard.....that kind of thing? thinking I should wait until after spring cleaning of the houses and some of the mud dries up from all the rain.....:) thanks again!

OK, so i thought that she would inspect the run and the coop- NO! she looked over The Girlies (what we call our flock) but that was out of her enjoyment of chickens. seriously, they come to test your flock for the diseases and that's it. i'm glad we did NPIP and it was an easy process and thoroughly explained by the state vet (i asked a ton of questions). it is something you do need to renew every year, and if you get new poultry, they must come from an NPIP flock or hatchery (most are).

Back
Top Bottom