NPIP certification courses are coming up in Virginia

Barry, basically there's a test run on your birds to make sure that your flock is healthy and disease free.

No, not exactly true.

National Poultry Improvement plan, a USDA gov't program for the protection of the food supply. Tests for Pullorum and Typhoid in your flock, which can pass through the eggs. Some mistakenly think it means your flock is completely healthy, but it does not. Some will test for Avian Influenza and for more $$ can test every few months for mycloplasmosis, but most do not. It has its place, but seems to promote a false sense of security in folks buying hatching eggs or birds. There are many diseases that it doesn't cover that are much more prevalent than Pullorum or Typhoid, which are all but eradicated in most places today.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just not what most people believe it is. Congrats on your certification, Stacey! Now, too bad you can't come down here and do mine!
wink.png

Quote:
No, not exactly true.

National Poultry Improvement plan, a USDA gov't program for the protection of the food supply. Tests for Pullorum and Typhoid in your flock, which can pass through the eggs. Some mistakenly think it means your flock is completely healthy, but it does not. Some will test for Avian Influenza and for more $$ can test every few months for mycloplasmosis, but most do not. It has its place, but seems to promote a false sense of security in folks buying hatching eggs or birds. There are many diseases that it doesn't cover that are much more prevalent than Pullorum or Typhoid, which are all but eradicated in most places today.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just not what most people believe it is. Congrats on your certification, Stacey! Now, too bad you can't come down here and do mine!
wink.png

Thanks Cyn, you made me go look it up here in Missouri. I know I was going to look into this myself but hadn't gotten around to do so. I, too, orginally, thought it meant your whole flock was healthy. But in believing they checked for everything made me be sure to worm my flock, check their legs and give antibiotics to the one bird I found kind of wheezing after separating him. so in fact, it made me double check my flock's health...which is a good thing.

Last edited:
What they test for may vary slightly by state, so everyone would have to look that up for themselves. I have a friend in NC who pays them to come test her flock every four months for mycoplasmosis, but that is an extra. Mostly, it's just Pullorum (salmonella), Typhoid and sometimes AI.

First off, as Cyn already pointed out, NPIP does not necessarily mean that your flock passes with a bill of health. The only thing we were trained to test for is Pullorum and Typhoid, which are both types of salmonella and again, as Cyn pointed out, will pass through hatching eggs. The two diseases are very rare, but seem to be making a come back in the US since backyard flocks are becoming more and more popular. I read a warning put out by the state of PA that there seems to be a rapid rise of these two diseases. It used to be that the USDA was only have 2 or 3 cases reported per year and last year there were 40. To me that is alarming. These two bacteria's are very deadly (to both flock and human). Of course any salmonella contracted by humans is not a good thing and most of you know the outcome there, but it can wipe out a persons flock and if it doesn't, it is reportable and the government will. I'm testing my birds so that does not happen and so I know my birds are Pullorum and Typhoid free so I don't end up passing that along to someone else through my hatching eggs.

I'm not trying to use a scare tactic in any way shape or form, I just want people to be aware that it is on the rise and that you do need to be careful when buying birds and hatching eggs.

As far as NPIP certified testers being able to test their own flocks goes, yes, I can test my own flock. That was the main reason I took this course.

As far was why this testing is necessary goes, you cannot show birds unless they've been tested within 90 days of the show/fair (I would never show mine due to other diseases that are not tested for), you can't ship or take birds across state lines, and you can't (or aren't supposed to) ship hatching eggs out of state without this certification. I think they (the government) have been fairly lenient as far as shipping eggs goes as of now, but with Pullorum and Typhoid on the rise I can see them cracking down soon. This is NOT what I was told in class, but my own opinion of course.
wink.png
I can just see it happening.

Hey everyone!

I have had the worst time trying to find someone to NPIP certify my flock and found that the state is offering certification courses for free.  If anyone is interested in taking this course, the dates are as follows:

Saturday, March 20th at 11 am at the Harrisonburg Laboratory

Saturday, March 27th at 11 am at the Harrisonburg Laboratory (I will be attending this class and would love company! /img/smilies/smile.png )

Saturday, April 10th at 1:00 pm at teh Ivor Laboratory

Dr. Meza will be conducting all sessions.  If you have any questions or would like to sign up for one of the classes, please contact him directly at 540-209-9130.
where did u find the info on the classes I'd like to take them but can't seem to find when the next classes are...

Back
Top Bottom