Nugget: Buff Silkie Bantam Cockerel

Banaynaychicken

Songster
Aug 21, 2015
Vail, AZ
Due to a few rules that were made before I purchased chickens for a school project, my dad made it well aware that he would NOT ( repeat N.O.T.) tolerate the sound of a rooster in his backyard, and rooster will be eaten.

Of course, I knew the risk of having a rooster and what would happen to the poor bird if I did, and planned to buy ONLY from a source that knew the chicks they sold were female. Unfortunately for one of my chickens, he happens to be.. well.. a HE. I heard him crow today and immediately felt my heart skip.

My dad knows as of today, and will give me the opportunity to sell/trade him as a breeding chicken or a pet before he becomes dinner instead.
I've become attached
( of COURSE!
barnie.gif
) to this little dude. He is extremely friendly, sweet, and has the cutest little crow. He is a bit of a scraggamuffin, he always looks like he went through a car wash backwards and then got put in a washing machine and dryer afterwards. But he is relativity easy to handle, and he hates being bathed, but loves being blow dried.

His name is Nugget, he is about 8 1/2 inches tall, Buff in color, with blue leakage in his tail feathers, and is starting to show some blue leakage in his crown. He has a Walnut comb ( From what I've researched) and fine red wattles, about an 1 1/4 inch in diameter at the moment. He recently chipped the tip of his beak (poor lil' dude he looks like he has tiny fangs now!) and has scraggly unkempt wings... ( Idk HOW to solve that
hmm.png
I've heard all silkies have unkempt wing feathers, though I don't know whether to believe it)

I can only sell him, or trade for a FEMALE bantam/standard silkie with LOCAL chicken owners in the Arizona Pima County Area, who plan on using this sweet little rooster for BREEDING, as a PET or SHOW BIRD only. I don't want to send him to a place where he will potentially be eaten. That just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyone in the Tucson, Vail, Marana, Benson, or Sahuarita (surrounding areas of Tucson) who is interested, please contact Hilary at (520)390-6748 or email me, Caoilin, at [email protected] to inquire about purchase or trade.I will have him up for Sale/Trade/Adopt until Saturday, If no one is interested, My teacher has offered to take him, and use him for breeding purposes.

Last edited:
Silkies have blue-black skin, organs, and bones. Might want to tell your dad lol. Most folks do not like black bird meat, though Asian folks do. Hopefully you can find him a pet home because he is not ever going to be a show bird. Also, most would never breed that bird. He isn't show or breeding quality. You also aren't likely to find anyone who wants to trade for a female, that just doesn't happen. He should make a great pet for someone though you will probably have to give him away. It is hard to find homes for boys, even nice ones sometimes. Good luck to you...I hope he finds a good home!

Silkies have blue-black skin, organs, and bones. Might want to tell your dad lol. Most folks do not like black bird meat, though Asian folks do. Hopefully you can find him a pet home because he is not ever going to be a show bird. Also, most would never breed that bird. He isn't show or breeding quality. You also aren't likely to find anyone who wants to trade for a female, that just doesn't happen. He should make a great pet for someone though you will probably have to give him away. It is hard to find homes for boys, even nice ones sometimes. Good luck to you...I hope he finds a good home!
Yeah, My dad figured the skin color out yesterday (I tried to tell him eating a silkie would be like eating purple ketchup. he didnt believe me XD). And show quality? Maayyybeee noottt... never really thought about it XD although he is a pure bred Bantam Silkie. He's got the turquoise/purplish cheeks and 5 toes. Surely not the fluffiest bird in the coop though, you'r definitely right about that. If no one wants him by this Saturday, My teacher offered to take him into the school program for breeding, so that his kids can learn about the life cycle. Not to mention I can still see him every day. So either way he is still getting taken care of ^-^. Thanks for the advice/input!!

Back
Top Bottom