Nutrition help for chickens with Marek's Disease

NimsHouseGarden

Chirping
Mar 21, 2023
This is my first year raising chickens. I hatched 10 Silkies and bought 3 more from a local breeder. I have been feeding them Naturewise Starter feed (linked) since I have a rooster in my flock. I recently discovered that I have a Marek's disease infection and lost 3 hens in about 3 weeks. My vet noted that all three birds were very thin. Again, since this is my first time I do not know what to look for when assessing a chickens weight. I stick to the 90% feed and 10% treats rule and make sure they always have access to food etc. I assume they are thin due to the disease. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to boost their caloric and nutritional intake? I want them to have the best chance of beating this disease. I am worried about feeding them extra things that may not be nutritionally complete. I would consider switching feed and providing supplements.

Thanks!

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p..._rcD_ldJ3C9C7vUH5AlmWNHF6HenFkChoC88IQAvD_BwE

I’m so sorry, this can be tough. I’m curious, how was Marek’s determined? Did you get a necropsy?

Really the best thing is to keep up what you’re doing. Their feed is the best thing for them without a lot of treats. If they are adults then an all flock would work with oyster shell on the side for the girls.

Being thin, are they eating ok? My flock LOVES a wet mash from time to time. I ferment a days worth of no corn pigeon feed, what I use for scratch, and dump it into a bowl of feed and let it soak up all the liquid, they go nuts for it. You can try fermenting feed and giving that once in a while too to encourage them to eat. Also, my flock will more readily eat pellets over crumbles. I don’t know why.

I’m so sorry, this can be tough. I’m curious, how was Marek’s determined? Did you get a necropsy?

Really the best thing is to keep up what you’re doing. Their feed is the best thing for them without a lot of treats. If they are adults then an all flock would work with oyster shell on the side for the girls.

Being thin, are they eating ok? My flock LOVES a wet mash from time to time. I ferment a days worth of no corn pigeon feed, what I use for scratch, and dump it into a bowl of feed and let it soak up all the liquid, they go nuts for it. You can try fermenting feed and giving that once in a while too to encourage them to eat. Also, my flock will more readily eat pellets over crumbles. I don’t know why.
Yes, I did have a necropsy. Two presented with the paralytic version about 3 weeks apart. At first, it seemed like a bad leg injury and progressed significantly within 24 hours. The first vet I took my first hen to suspected a spinal injury, but after the second hen had essentially the same disease progression, I knew it had to be something more sinister. My third hen had the visceral form and died on her own about 24 hours after presenting with lethargy. I had the second two diagnosed via necropsy.

They seem to eat fine! I have several different feeder styles available so everyone's preferences are met. I will try fermenting! I hatched a cross beak chick that I had to feed mash to and the whole crew loved her food! It's definitely worth a try. And providing a pellet option is another good suggestion. I've always fed crumbles because of my cross beak. 🤷

Thanks for your help!

I stick to the 90% feed and 10% treats rule and make sure they always have access to food etc. I assume they are thin due to the disease. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to boost their caloric and nutritional intake?
If you really think they're thin 'due to the disease', then why change the food? If you think you're giving good food and you make it available 24/7, then again how could it be the food? So your questions suggest that really you doubt the '90% feed and 10% treats rule' (which isn't a rule, by the way, it's just hearsay, and moreover lacks any definition of what constitutes a treat) and you want to give your flock challenged by Mareks (bad luck with that, but it's not the end of the world) better food. In which case you might find this useful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/

I didn't have Mareks but my set of hens were getting thin ... It wasn't the feed but the treats ... Worms were suggested but I stopped all treats, fermented their feed and they put on the weight. I went back to "treats" but changed the treats from veggies/fruits (no clue how to figure the 10%) to hand (small) full of chopped kale once a day, dry feed/crumbles scattered (it's a treat as they get fermented feeding) about 1/8 cup &mealworm s

If you really think they're thin 'due to the disease', then why change the food? If you think you're giving good food and you make it available 24/7, then again how could it be the food? So your questions suggest that really you doubt the '90% feed and 10% treats rule' (which isn't a rule, by the way, it's just hearsay, and moreover lacks any definition of what constitutes a treat) and you want to give your flock challenged by Mareks (bad luck with that, but it's not the end of the world) better food. In which case you might find this useful
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...eat-tears-a-calculator-or-deep-pockets.78655/
I'm asking for veteran chicken keepers, and hopefully someone who has gone through a similar situation, to help me determine if I'm doing the right things. I'm not actively looking to switch foods, but if my flock would be better served with a food that has higher protein, more fats or some other nutritional difference, I would appreciate the advice. I do not doubt the 'rule', I'm providing insight into my feeding patterns. Offering too many low calorie foods in my situation would not be advisable considering I'm experiencing issues with weight maintenance. If you're asking for clarification as to what constitutes a treat in my flock, I offer small quantities of vegetables and fruit in a weekly basis. This is an incredibly challenging situation and I'm devastated by the losses I have experienced.

Higher protein could help, like @ChickNanny13 says. But I would avoid adding fat from foods considered treats because fat around their organs can cause birds harm.

There are all flock and grower feeds with 20% protein, or you can do what I often do during molt, get 30% Gamebird grower and mix half & half with your existing feed. That would yield 24% protein. As a bonus, they seem to love the taste which can increase consumption.

You may have to experiment a little to find out what works best for your birds. I hope you see improvements soon :hugs

Back
Top Bottom