PetMate Coop - need help adding an automatic door please!

Hi

The automatic door is from Omlet. It’s a bit pricey but worth every penny. The customer service is vey good.

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/automatic_chicken_coop_door_opener/

You could also get the Run Chicken auto door. It’s cheaper and they also have good customer service.
I moved my Omlet auto door to my bigger coop and put the Run Chicken door on my Per Mate Coop - kept it as a backup coop to house new hens or a sick hen. I had to add a thin piece of particle board since the Omlet opening was bigger. It’s been working fine the past few months.

You can’t go wrong with either door.

https://a.co/d/dqorkn0
The run chicken door funny you say that came with mine on the outer part of the coop, to allow them into a run. I like how simple it is. Did it fit over the doorway with no additional wood or anything? After you took the rails and old door of course off

Hi

The automatic door is from Omlet. It’s a bit pricey but worth every penny. The customer service is vey good.

https://www.omlet.us/shop/chicken_keeping/automatic_chicken_coop_door_opener/

You could also get the Run Chicken auto door. It’s cheaper and they also have good customer service.
I moved my Omlet auto door to my bigger coop and put the Run Chicken door on my Per Mate Coop - kept it as a backup coop to house new hens or a sick hen. I had to add a thin piece of particle board since the Omlet opening was bigger. It’s been working fine the past few months.

You can’t go wrong with either door.

https://a.co/d/dqorkn0
Can I see a picture of the run chicken door mounted when you have a chance? Thank you

This is awesome! How hard was it to take off the old rails and door? Would love to see some more pictures of your setup as I have the same coop for my chickens that we just got. Did you do anything else to seal it up for winter?
It wasn't too hard to remove the rails. I am not very handy so I used small crowbar and gently pulled away the frame. Kept the pieces for scraps.

Here are a few pictures - one from a few years ago and one more recent. I attached some shower curtains to keep out the wind, rain, and snow. This worked well and they liked to hang out under in there when the weather was bad. I also added a small fan, vent holes, and motion lights. It inside an 'enclosed' run as I have too many predators. Some day, when I have enough money, I'd like to build a proper enclosed run.

During the colder months, I moved the heated Premier 1 waterer under the coop so the plastic would block the wind. I found that if got below freezing and too windy, the base and nipples would freeze when unprotected.

1698884884582.jpeg

1698885053343.jpeg

1698885704986.jpeg

It wasn't too hard to remove the rails. I am not very handy so I used small crowbar and gently pulled away the frame. Kept the pieces for scraps.

Here are a few pictures - one from a few years ago and one more recent. I attached some shower curtains to keep out the wind, rain, and snow. This worked well and they liked to hang out under in there when the weather was bad. I also added a small fan, vent holes, and motion lights. It inside an 'enclosed' run as I have too many predators. Some day, when I have enough money, I'd like to build a proper enclosed run.

During the colder months, I moved the heated Premier 1 waterer under the coop so the plastic would block the wind. I found that if got below freezing and too windy, the base and nipples would freeze when unprotected.

View attachment 3673868
View attachment 3673900

View attachment 3673902
Thank you so much this looks amazing. You did an excellent job. We will be doing the shower curtains soon as it's getting cold here

Can I see a picture of the run chicken door mounted when you have a chance? Thank you
Hi @Thewayfaringnerd

Here's a picture of the Run Chicken door that I got from Amazon.
I used one of the nesting box dividers to cover up the opening since they usually fell down anyway. There is a small gap at the top but I'm not worried about it as I usually keep the run door closed. It was pretty easy to instal and set the timings with my phone.

1699105599234.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom