NY chicken lover!!!!

Morning all. One of our resident bears passed by this morning while I was letting the little monsters out. My mother saw it first as she was up on the kitchen deck. 545 am. She called out to me and I turned to see itOn the road. It looked at my mother and her dog then me and decided to move on across the road. I yelled at it a couple of times and clapped my hands to keep it moving when it stopped for a second. Nice bear, in good shape. No, I didn't worry. I have learned to live with them and know how to deter them.

I would be willing to show how I process my chickens if there is interest and someone provides one. I just breast and leg mine for canning and freezing. Please let me know so I can pack my knives and rope. I'll need a place to tie a rope between two trees or something similar.

Still waiting on my hatch.

Morning all. One of our resident bears passed by this morning while I was letting the little monsters out. My mother saw it first as she was up on the kitchen deck. 545 am. She called out to me and I turned to see itOn the road. It looked at my mother and her dog then me and decided to move on across the road. I yelled at it a couple of times and clapped my hands to keep it moving when it stopped for a second. Nice bear, in good shape. No, I didn't worry. I have learned to live with them and know how to deter them.

I would be willing to show how I process my chickens if there is interest and someone provides one. I just breast and leg mine for canning and freezing. Please let me know so I can pack my knives and rope. I'll need a place to tie a rope between two trees or something similar.

i think its kind of neat to see the bears. we have them pass through, especially now that moms are booting the older cubs along. we see them occasionally, but mostly its just the sign and my friends bird feeders in pieces all over his yard!

we will be processing this weekend. its too hot for my CX, i dont feed them as much as want to eat so they grow slower, they also "free range" with my layers, but they dont go more than a few feet form the run!... i feel they have better meat, not very fatty... but there are a couple who seem to not be doing well in this heat.

Ciel has hatched six keets :love They are adorable and she is being a great mother. I put garden netting around the crate they are in to keep them from slipping out of the holes and then put in a feeder, and she got up and ate and tried to get them to have some but they aren't interested yet. She is also bound and determined to hatch the one chicken egg that I put under her that hasn't hatched yet, it would seem. I was going to take it from her and finish it, then give her the chick back, but after she shifted closer to the feeder and let her keets under her, she reached over and rolled the egg under her too. So I guess I'll let her keep it. It should hatch tomorrow or Saturday. If it looks like she's getting off it tomorrow I'll take it, but for now she seems to want to keep trying to hatch it.

Ciel has hatched six keets :love They are adorable and she is being a great mother. I put garden netting around the crate they are in to keep them from slipping out of the holes and then put in a feeder, and she got up and ate and tried to get them to have some but they aren't interested yet. She is also bound and determined to hatch the one chicken egg that I put under her that hasn't hatched yet, it would seem. I was going to take it from her and finish it, then give her the chick back, but after she shifted closer to the feeder and let her keets under her, she reached over and rolled the egg under her too. So I guess I'll let her keep it. It should hatch tomorrow or Saturday. If it looks like she's getting off it tomorrow I'll take it, but for now she seems to want to keep trying to hatch it.

What a good mama!!!

I can bring some cockerels ... have plenty of work with between the ages of 5 - 9 weeks old. I can also bring my tools.
I usually just fasted them for 12 to 24 hrs, some of the others on the caponizing thread do 36 hrs w/o food, 12 hrs w/o water. 

I don't know what Phoreda wants to do, but if we both worked together on a demo - you know what they say "two brains are better than one"!
Oh, and I wasn't fast and efficient, either, in 2013, but I also didn't have any die "on the table" - yet the majority were slips.
I think that was due to the ones in 2013 being small for their age, but this year's cockerels are more "on track", growth-wise.

Doing a "test run" is on my to-do list today.

That sounds like a good plan. PMing u to discuss.

congrats on the Keets ..expect pictures you know ..

Since you asked :D

I would love to know how you do it and how you can the meat!

I have a box of burgers to bring, along with the vegetables platter I'm bringing. No time to bake anything gluten free.

Haven't heard on the demo but I'll pack my stuff anyways. I suggest people bring water dishes for their birds, carriers of some kind to bring home the birds you weren't going to buy, and spray for bugs and ticks. A lint roller works good picking up ticks that are on your clothes.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Is anyone arriving before 11am to "set up", get things unpacked from the vehicle?
We've discussed leaving early enough, so we have time for a pit-stop or any unforeseen delays.
But, if everything goes "as the map says" - we'd probably be there early. Is that ok, Nutty?

Oh, my Dad who's coming too asked if there's going to be a "coffee & donut" at Chickenstock for the non-chicken lovers to "hang out"!
big_smile.png

He's just teasing / having fun, but though I'd share it anyways.

Didn't have time to do a "test run" of caponizing today, and tomorrow I'm working until evening.
Then, I'll have to load everyone up, as there won't be much time Saturday morning. Plus, they're easier to catch at night.

re: processing demo - I don't have anyone to process currently, as I just did the extra roosters a few weeks ago. But, if someone has a "subject" and would like to see the "skinning process" I use,
I could demo that, as well. Not sure yet about the caponizing - though I'd like to do it - I don't want to demo something I haven't done in 2 years! I'm hoping I get a free 1/2 hour to refresh my memory,
though I'm pretty sure I remember all the steps.

Back
Top Bottom