NY chicken lover!!!!

Oooooh! Hooray! The lady I got the BR roo from will take him back!........on condition that I take a very young cockerel instead. Fair with me. And her silkies are all spoken for, I don't quite rember who asked....once I make the trade off, I'll review the posts more thoroughly.
And the trade went well....and somehow I have the tiniest silkie roo I have ever seen, and I don't even like silkies. Timmy has got to be only like, 3 pounds but Angus seems to "like" him. Zero crowing, no pecking through the fences. We shall see, he was hand raised due to his oddly small size, I guess.

2 rrandom dogs came into our yard this morning we chased them off but he got one of our girls pretty bad. We cleaned her wound and isolated her is there anything I can do for her. sorry for the graphic image.

2 rrandom dogs came into our yard this morning we chased them off but he got one of our girls pretty bad. We cleaned her wound and isolated her is there anything I can do for her. sorry for the graphic image.
Oh~that's not good. I am sorry. I would make her comfortable but not stressed. I blue coat all the wounds to make them invisible to the others and themselves. I would be tempted to try and liquid stitch it or superglue the wound. I wish you well. Make sure you document everything in case you pay your neighbor a visit.

Wow, sorry that happened to your bird. What part of her body is that?

I had a Dominique hen get savaged similar to that and survive. Most of Deuce's wounds were on her back & her ribs seemed to have protected her internal organs.My hen also had some puncture wounds into the breast muscle, but nothing internal.

I actually found a farm livestock vet near me at the time (this was in TN several years ago), who checked her over and sold me a custom formulated salve -not a huge help now, I know- but he also pointed out not to use Neosporin type antibiotic ointment products with the "pain reliever" added since that ingredient is poisonous to chickens. The plain kind of antibiotic ointment he said was ok.

The salve he gave me had an iodine base (stained the heck out of anything it got on), so maybe someone would know of a similar farm supply available product? I was surprised that the only wound care the vet instructed me to give was to keep it clean and remove the hen from any stress - she had a private suite in my master bath for several weeks, recovered and even grew back the feathers the vet had thought would not come through the scar tissue. The key to her full recovery was avoiding stress and infection.

My Dominique recovered and returned to rule the roost again for several years. Best of luck with your injured bird.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry that happened to your bird. What part of her body is that?

I had a Dominique hen get savaged similar to that and survive. Most of Deuce's wounds were on her back & her ribs seemed to have protected her internal organs.My hen also had some puncture wounds into the breast muscle, but nothing internal.

I actually found a farm livestock vet near me at the time (this was in TN several years ago), who checked her over and sold me a custom formulated salve -not a huge help now, I know- but he also pointed out not to use Neosporin type antibiotic ointment products with the "pain reliever" added since that ingredient is poisonous to chickens. The plain kind of antibiotic ointment he said was ok.

The salve he gave me had an iodine base (stained the heck out of anything it got on), so maybe someone would know of a similar farm supply available product? I was surprised that the only wound care the vet instructed me to give was to keep it clean and remove the hen from any stress - she had a private suite in my master bath for several weeks, recovered and even grew back the feathers the vet had thought would not come through the scar tissue. The key to her full recovery was avoiding stress and infection. 

My Dominique recovered and returned to rule the roost again for several years. Best of luck with your injured bird.

The wound is behind her leg, she had some other puncture wounds as well :( I have her some electrolyte powered in with her water put her in a large dog crate outside. My van is in the shop so there's no taking her to the vet otherwise I would. :(

Sounds like you are doing everything you can given the circumstances - this stuff always seems to happen on the weekend doesn't it? Good luck, I hope she pulls through.

If I lived closer to any of you with roosters I woulf have given at least one a good home. I have two right now, but the one is slated for the pot after molting, and the other just shows no interest in being a boy. Yet. And I am just breeding for color, so I am not picky haha!

Where are you at? I have a few cockerels to be rid of, in Cortland County, central NY.

Back
Top Bottom