NY chicken lover!!!!

Wow, sorry that happened to your bird. What part of her body is that?

I had a Dominique hen get savaged similar to that and survive. Most of Deuce's wounds were on her back & her ribs seemed to have protected her internal organs.My hen also had some puncture wounds into the breast muscle, but nothing internal.

I actually found a farm livestock vet near me at the time (this was in TN several years ago), who checked her over and sold me a custom formulated salve -not a huge help now, I know- but he also pointed out not to use Neosporin type antibiotic ointment products with the "pain reliever" added since that ingredient is poisonous to chickens. The plain kind of antibiotic ointment he said was ok.

The salve he gave me had an iodine base (stained the heck out of anything it got on), so maybe someone would know of a similar farm supply available product? I was surprised that the only wound care the vet instructed me to give was to keep it clean and remove the hen from any stress - she had a private suite in my master bath for several weeks, recovered and even grew back the feathers the vet had thought would not come through the scar tissue. The key to her full recovery was avoiding stress and infection. 

My Dominique recovered and returned to rule the roost again for several years. Best of luck with your injured bird.

The wound is behind her leg, she had some other puncture wounds as well :( I have her some electrolyte powered in with her water put her in a large dog crate outside. My van is in the shop so there's no taking her to the vet otherwise I would. :(

Lambert Kay EMT gel, they sell it at TSC, works amazingly well on bad wounds.

The wound is behind her leg, she had some other puncture wounds as well
sad.png
I have her some electrolyte powered in with her water put her in a large dog crate outside. My van is in the shop so there's no taking her to the vet otherwise I would.
sad.png
it is good you separated her ...I would also cover her cage she needs to stay warm & rest .
Spray it with blue coat after it has been cleaned off ..dont use peroxide it halts healing

I use a solution of iodine and water then sprayed on, doesn't sting. Then that Lambert Kay EMT stuff. Vetericyn is also good stuff and sold at TSC. I swear by that EMT stuff,
"active ingredient Type 1 Hydrolysate of Collagen which provides a matrix for new cell growth.
Seals and protects wounds
Promotes rapid healing
Relieves pain & itching
Reduces scarring
Non-toxic and non-sensitizing"

I have the weirdest situation with a juvenile NN right now. His crop is full of air like a balloon. It's not impacted crop because the crop empties, and it's not sour crop for the same reason. He can still eat and the food still passes through him just fine. I'm thinking he damaged an air sac and it's leaking into his crop. Hopefully it'll heal up on his own. It doesn't seem to be bothering him but he looks like a little balloon.

I did out of curiosity stick a needle in there, and all that came back was regular air. Very strange thing.

Back
Top Bottom