NY chicken lover!!!!

Thank you for the IDs! That is super helpful.

Errr... yes, I have both. I bought a plate on amazon and was very pleased with it until I set it up and found that it was only getting up to 85 underneath. And that was the day the chicks were arriving. Cue a desperate run to true value and the purchasing of the only clip-on light with a cage (and not a very protective one) that they had, with the red bulb that was next to it. But that was 250 watts! I've now run to the grocery store to try and find something else, but they only had 70 watt incandescent bulbs. Tried that, but it didn't seem to be hot enough. So now I mounted the 250 watt bulb much higher and cracked the door open to the rest of our cold house, and they seem to be quite active and not doing any one thing (like huddling in one spot). They take naps and then they all wake up and go and eat and drink, and then they wander around falling asleep on their feet for a while. Sometimes they do go under the heating plate.

I'm hoping I can turn the light off in a couple weeks and just use the plate, to give them some semblance of nighttime. I might also leave the light on in the room, but partly cover the bin they are in, so they get the warm air but not direct bright light. They are in a smallish bathroom, so that bulb is heating up the whole space quite nicely.
The heat plate alone is probably enough, especially if they are indoors. 85 at the bottom is normal, if you put a thermometer on it directly it might measure higher. Totally up to you, and if you want to try it just sit and watch to see if they act distressed without the lamp. Mine were in the garage at around 75–80 degrees during the day, and I was able to turn it completely off at about 3 weeks! Will vary depending on how cold it gets at night though.

Thanks- I will stop worrying. Gave a couple of them spa days, just to get one or two bits off their bums.

Progress on the henhouse! Coop now has linoleum tiles and much of the outdoor trim is up. Still need to do the main wall inside the run- right now that is completely open, but I’ve at least cut my siding into the four pieces I need. Tomorrow I’ll try to finish cutting out doors/windows in those and will get them up. Oh, and roosts! Got to get the roosts up first.

DB21DD6F-B7D7-4AAA-A6B2-AA0397CF6EAF.jpeg 7C60E0DF-9908-4B34-80EE-3C0BA4B96FBC.jpeg 2E8BA1ED-E5F8-424C-B0A2-71158B489BD9.jpeg

Thank you for the IDs! That is super helpful.

Errr... yes, I have both. I bought a plate on amazon and was very pleased with it until I set it up and found that it was only getting up to 85 underneath. And that was the day the chicks were arriving. Cue a desperate run to true value and the purchasing of the only clip-on light with a cage (and not a very protective one) that they had, with the red bulb that was next to it. But that was 250 watts! I've now run to the grocery store to try and find something else, but they only had 70 watt incandescent bulbs. Tried that, but it didn't seem to be hot enough. So now I mounted the 250 watt bulb much higher and cracked the door open to the rest of our cold house, and they seem to be quite active and not doing any one thing (like huddling in one spot). They take naps and then they all wake up and go and eat and drink, and then they wander around falling asleep on their feet for a while. Sometimes they do go under the heating plate.

I'm hoping I can turn the light off in a couple weeks and just use the plate, to give them some semblance of nighttime. I might also leave the light on in the room, but partly cover the bin they are in, so they get the warm air but not direct bright light. They are in a smallish bathroom, so that bulb is heating up the whole space quite nicely.
for what it’s worth, my week olds are practically off heat. They’re inside at night and its in the high 60s indoors.

Ive had them outside during the day since day 4 I think. it hasn't been that hot outside either, and they haven't scream cold at me yet XD

Attachments

• 63FFEF70-CEF2-4D3F-B880-2FC6FF225FD9.jpeg
    63FFEF70-CEF2-4D3F-B880-2FC6FF225FD9.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 2
Thanks for all the temperature encouragement!! I think I will start to slowly wean them off of the light. They probably do need to be outside by three weeks (with their heating plate), either in the coop or the garage. They’ll be happier with all the space in the coop, if I can keep them warm enough.

Hi everybody! I'm currently looking for 2 or 3 pullets to add to my flock. My daughter's favorite chick unfortunately is not thriving and she is really bummed. We aren't super particular about breed but we want colored egg layers!

I would prefer if they were vaccinated. We are in Montour Falls, will travel a little ways if needed. Our babies are family and very loved!

Back
Top Bottom