NY chicken lover!!!!

Eliseny Pine creek does use soy. I was told higbie had the food u requested i havent tried because i maggot farm so there is my source of protein. Good luck but there are places online that you can buy the products and mix your own feed.

Pyxis I had the same problem lost my fav chick but others did survive. Yeah i use two now. But since i got a broody hen (my 1st) I'm hoping i won't need to do a hatch by incubator/brooder this year.

I've been making sauce and canning both it and whole tomatoes this weekend.  The chickens like the scraps from it but DH says it makes a mess in the barn.  He says they can dig it out of the compost when they are ranging instead.  Hope everyone else is getting good results from their gardens.

We have lots of green tomatoes, hoping they ripen before blight hits. The SuperSauce are huge. Squash are doing well, been harvesting zucchini and yellow squash, winter squash are crawling all over. Did a batch of pickles today using Mrs Wages Spicy Pickle mix - hope we like it 'cause there is 16 pints worth. Will do a batch of regular dill later this week.
Weeded the box where lettuce didn't grow, going to toss some seeds in for a fall garden, whatever seeds I may have left. Lots of old seed to use up.

Hi all,
My name is Lisa. I'm in Binghamton, NY. My family and I are in the beginning stages of adding chickens to our home. I'm so excited! I've been lurking and absorbing all the amazing advice this forum has to offer.

Welcome. Not very often do I see someone on here very close to me. I live just outside of Corning. You'll have so much fun. Be sure to keep us posted. sue

Does anyone know of anywhere in the state (or surrounding states perhaps) that sells organic, soy-free chicken feed? I was planning on mixing my own (very basic) feed since we started out with our chickens as free range, but one of our shelties killed and ate one of them yesterday. :( So we will need to fence them in and feel more comfortable feeding them something commercial since they will be confined. If there isn't anywhere local and I need to order online, does anyone else who lives within an hour or two of me (I'm in Prattsburgh) want to go in on a large order with me?

Did you look at tsc they have organic feed
This year has just been really bad for me chick wise. A blown heat bulb on the only cool days of this month so far cost me over 30 chicks a couple days ago. Luckily the guinea keets and poults weren't outside yet. The sole survivor was a little barred rock pullet, and you can bet that she sticks around and gets to breed. She's apparently a very hardy little thing. So I decided to do one last major hatch this year of my own eggs. All pullets stay, all roosters get rehomed or eaten. Penny, my buff orp, has graciously offered to help by going broody, so I'm letting her do her thing.

How is everyone? I haven't been around much lately and I'm way too behind to catch up.

This type of thing happened to me twice. Now I keep TWO bulbs going.  Lately I've been buying these.  I figure to use these AND a red light.  These do not get as hot but should the light burn out be warm enough to keep chicks alive. Plus they can be lowered a bit closer to the chicks. You can get them on ebay I just noticed for $2.99 each. 100W but still warm enough.  They do come in higher watts but are very expensive.  Ridiculously expensive.  I ordered more than one of the 100 watters and figure to order more. 

Those 250W red lights burn out quickly. I think because they get so hot.  You can't count on them to last. If you insist on using them you might consider using more than one and be sure one of those is brand new.  

mexf3PQGSDIN9oZ3HX5ElQA.jpg

I was thinking about getting one for the winter so the water doesn't freeze

Hidey Ho Neighbors!
School starts next Monday so I'm busy trying to get everything ready for the kids, I have to get my license switched over to prove we live here, etc etc. I hate dealing with the DMV. Once the kids are in school I have 3-4 people who are willing to help me out with my chicken keeping. I plan on making arrangements to go visit them, check out their yard, see what kind of people they are, etc. At least 1 of those 4 people has to be trustworthy right?!? Keeping my fingers crossed. I still wish there was someone on the road we live off of that would help me out. This way I could just walk over there. Actually, there is an English Orp breeder in Woodstock and as I turned left out of my road the other day there was this house on the right that had a bunch of large breed chickens, that looked to me like English Orps. Well I found his FB page the other day because I wanted to see what colors he raised what some of his birds looked liked and from the pictures it looks like THAT could be his house! All I keep thinking is if he was willing to help me out, I could WALK to my birds everyday! I believe he's NPIP though since he shows and I'm not sure how he would feel or if he would even want extra birds on his property that weren't NPIP. I might try shooting him another email and see what his thoughts are on that. I've also been working really hard on getting our credit reports cleaned up, mine is pretty much done, it's DH's I have to work on next, so that we can buy a house next year. I told DH I am tired of renting and I know the only reason we've been doing it from the very beginning is because we didn't know where these next career moves were going to take us but I feel like we are finally in an area that if we bought a house instead of rented, he could get a job anywhere in CT, MA, RI where as in Albany and Syracuse his options were more limited. I'm hoping that is not the case of course and he is in this job for the next 5-10 years at least. There are just so many houses in Woodstock for sale and it covers such a large area so there are a lot of options as to where to live and still have our kids go to the same school. It's not a very high populated area so there is only one elementary, one middle and one high school and as long as you are in this town, you go to those schools. I've been browsing at houses in this area for sale and there are quite a few that have barns and lots of acreage!
wink.png
So that's what I've been working on. I'll check back after I meet with these folks and let you all know how it went.

Hi Everyone! I just never have time to post anymore! I still read and like to see what everyone is up too! Lastly I have some lavender and split orps that need to go and coronation and a few light sussex to go. Can be sexed. Have a great day!

Did you look at tsc they have organic feed
I was thinking about getting one for the winter so the water doesn't freeze

I did not know TSC had organic feed. I'll have to check ours here. I will say I like ours. I bought two cattle panels and didn't have a way to get them but one of the girls there brought them over. I don't live far. Just around the corner.

I'm not sure those light things would be good for keeping water thawed. I could be wrong. They're actually "reptile" warmers. I figure at such a low wattage they'd be fine for keeping chicks warm enough IF the red light burns out.

Back
Top Bottom