Oatmeal with cinnamon and honey

teresa616

Hatching
9 Years
Dec 16, 2010
Hi all, I'm new here and love the info. I've found on this forum. I'm sorry if this question has already been asked, but I did look around and didn't see a similar q. Is it ok to feed chickens oatmeal that has cinnamon and honey added to it? It's leftovers and if they can eat it, I hate to waste it. Thanks so much in advance.

welcome-byc.gif

I don't know why not. I guess I've never given mine oatmeal with cinnamon, but they certainly LOVE oatmeal. Honestly, I give my chickens all kinds of table scraps and none of them have ever gotten sick. As long as they are getting a good quality feed, some scraps as a treat is just fine.

I've been giving my hens warm Quaker oats in the morning when they get let out of the coop, they like the warm treat when the temp dips below freezing. Was at the dollar store the other day and bought some cinnamon oatmeal, and they like it just as well.

If I had the leftovers I'd give it to them. If I were making it for them I'd leave out the honey.

Outside of sweets or a lot of salt or fat, there is very little I don't feed my chickens. This morning they got leftover rice with chicken soup from a can added to it. Tomorrow they get the leftover corn bread. I usually add BOSS or yogurt or both to treats.

Here is they BYC treats chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Last edited by a moderator:
Dang, everyone's hens but mine like oatmeal. My girls wipe their beaks on my pants when I offer it to them. They act like I'm offering them wallpaper paste. Then I give it to the dog (who is getting fat from the stuff).

Mine absolutely love scrambled eggs, bananas, frozen then thawed pumpkin (won't touch it fresh). Weird chickens.

Thanks so much for the replies. I'll go ahead and give it to them, I'm sure they'll love it. I'm fairly new to this. I got my five chickens in June as chicks and they're doing great, but I'm a little paranoid about feeding them the wrong things from leftover people food. They do get a good quality crumble, but they sure love their table scraps! I will make sure to check over the wonderful links to the "good" food and the "bad" food lists.

It's almost entirely a "good" foods list, with a few items listed at the very end that are not good. I can't think offhand of anything leftover that you couldn't give them, other than, as I already said, sweets or a lot of fat or salt. Chocolate is toxic. (Who has leftover sweets or chocolate anyway?)

I have been rushing home from work each evening so I can make some oatmeal and give to my chickens prior to them getting locked up in the coop for the night...I feel better knowing they have something warm in them at night with the below freezing weather.

Also, they should not have avocado or citrus-------My chickens are so spoiled they expect treats for a week after you give them some. mine LOVE CORN, cherries, cantaloupe-watermelon rinds. I gave them cucumbers from my garden and they went crazy for it too

Back
Top Bottom