Obama is close to being Impeached

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am not arguing one way or another pro or against profiling.  All I am saying is that profiling skews the statistics that so many point to as evidence of higher rates of "black criminality".  You just can't accept the numbers about the high rates of black arrests/etc., without considering how profiling makes those %'s appear.  My white 80 year old grandmother flys quite a bit, and she always gets searched and questioned because her replaced knee sets off the metal detectors.  Maybe we should consider profiling when it makes sense.  In the case of criminal profiling in the larger world, it makes no sense to fixate on one racial group when we know all racial groups are committing crimes (most likely at similar rates based on their socio-economic class, etc)   I mean, isn't the TSA screening a joke, anyways?  They don't really pay that much attention to whats in checked luggage and pulling out random old ladies makes no sense...  But pulling random middle easterners out isn't helpful either because its inefficient - there are tons of middle eastern people, but only a certain type is the problem.  An another thing, we have had terrorist problems with  non-middle eastern people just about as often as often trying to blow up planes.  Usually they are young men.  Maybe profiling young men would make more sense. :confused:

Old ladies and old men can carry bombs too,..
I'm very thankful that they pull your grandmother out of line and check her when the metal detectors go off.
They are just doing their job and i'm THANKFUL for it.

As for racial/criminal profiling,.. i think it has its purpose,..

The rest of the study material is in the link. I just posted this much for sake of reader boredom.

I cannot argue with personal experience unlike some on this thread. If you have witnessed what you say then I have no way to refute that.

I don't think you are wrong by the way.

My wife's cousin is a principal in Point Hope , AK (?) and it is an Eskimo village. Would pulling over the handful of white people that live there be profiling if the cop was an Eskimo? The jail is full of Eskimos.

A friend just took a job in Deer Lodge, Montana prison he said the population is mostly Indians.

that article actually has no information that contradicts what I said. Read it carefully, it only suggests that you could compare the stats from a large survey with arrest rates to see if blacks were being unfairly targeted or not. I will also add that I do personally know that blacks are unfairly targeted based on personal experience over the past 20 years. A great number of my friends and family are black and it is common for them to be surveyed, questioned and otherwise profiled. Interestingly, this only happens to me, when I am with a black friend or relative. As a white person, I go about my business unquestioned and am not the subject of suspicion. I could much more easily get away with criminal behavior ranging from traffic violations to theft because the cops ignore me. They profile blacks, and give me the freedom to commit crimes. You know, if i can find it, I will post a study in which police were made to stop cars randomly - guess what happened? They arrested a higher overall % of criminals of all races due to not profiling. Basically, profiling allows criminals to get away.

Last edited:
If any and all profiling makes me and others safer in society then I have no problem with any of it. A tsa agent feeling me up is the least of my privacy complaints.

I'm very thankful that they pull your grandmother out of line and check her when the metal detectors go off.

The rest of the study material is in the link. I just posted this much for sake of reader boredom.

I cannot argue with personal experience unlike some on this thread. If you have witnessed what you say then I have no way to refute that.

I don't think you are wrong by the way.

My wife's cousin is a principal in Point Hope , AK (?) and it is an Eskimo village. Would pulling over the handful of white people that live there be profiling if the cop was an Eskimo? The jail is full of Eskimos.

A friend just took a job in Deer Lodge, Montana prison he said the population is mostly Indians.

Of course - it doesn't matter what color the profiler is, profiling is an action. If a martian was a cop and was profiling, it would still be profiling.

So what happen to "racial" profiling? I think a bigger problem than profiling is when people have to make an issue out of everything a cop does to enforce the law to make it more difficult for them as if somehow doing that will make us safer. As stated in the article I posted there are still other things that need be done before someone is wrongfully imprisoned or charged. Some people are offended by having to stop for a cop and give thier info to them. It just seems a minor thing for the benefit to society. If a white man 200lbs with grey hair robbed a bank driving a white pickup and I was in the area I would not be surprised if I got pulled over.

Of course - it doesn't matter what color the profiler is, profiling is an action. If a martian was a cop and was profiling, it would still be profiling.

So is going to war without Congressional approval a white collar crime or are they just profiling ?

hu.gif

Profiling is a long established procedure. My father was stopped by a plain clothes policeman in London, in the 1950s because he was carrying a tool bag. He was made to unpack it on the pavement in full view of the passing crowds. He explained that he was a telephone engineer on his way to a job, and gave the contact details of his supervising officer. He than demanded to know why the policeman was not stopping the Rolls Royces and asking their occupants to open their bags. He claimed it was a clear case of discrimination because he was a working man and they were gentlemen of leisure. Not racism but classism in those days.

Clearly, when looking for housebreakers you look for someone with a set of tools. Profiling has it's place but criminals come in all shapes and sizes. An investigation over the last few years has said that the Metropolitan Police are 'Institutionally Racist'. This is because among the rank and file, although there may be no open racism, there is an expectation that certain racial groups behave in certain ways. This has in turn led to the over use of the stop and search powers amongst young black men for example. It is right that it is investigated and challenged, and not just swept under the carpet for fear of upsetting the status quo. This is not where we want to be in the twenty first century. Racial and religious discrimination is evil and as far as I am aware is in itself a crime. No place for it anywhere in a civilised society.

Yes, I am a grandma and yes, I got checked. But the metal detector did not go off. They simply had to do that to someone and I got chosen because then they could say there weren't using racial profiling. I suppose. This was just after 9/11. I found it odd that I was the one chosen both times when it was clearly not grey haired white people that were under suspicion at the time. (at that time they used portable wands, not "feel ups" lol)

If any and all profiling makes me and others safer in society then I have no problem with any of it. A tsa agent feeling me up is the least of my privacy com
Until environwackos get permission to start arresting people with chainsaws, just because they might be loggers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom