October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

Today's day 7, so I measured the air cells. How do they look? It looks like 3 eggs are developing good, 1 doesn't look to be developing, and 1 not pictured is really dark and cloudy inside. That one has an air cell, veins, and a embryo, but the insides just look off to me. It's not translucent like the rest. I'm going to let it be for now. The porous one does have veins, it just didn't show up as well.
Looks good : )

Oh wow another Arizonan! I have my last hatch in the garage with a small white heat light, those big red ones get too hot. I think temp drops in the night but I have 15 chicks and they sleep in a pile, they'll go outside in a coop with the light in a few days.
Yes, the temp have been dropping in the night. I'm a night owl, so I'm watching the indoor/outdoor thermometer. I just added a picture of my 3 Aussies from the eggs I hatched out back in April that I had bought from Kurt's Rattlesnake Ridge line. The roo would be the daddy to the eggs that I now have in the incubator if I have good ones where he hit his mark. They were going in and out from under the misters, so the water changed the coloring to yellow in spots.

900x900px-LL-e07c29f6_Flash-Precious-Zhane.png

My Serama eggs are just on day three and I have resisted turning them so far. These are replacement eggs and the ones before had 3 eggs that developed and two already quit so I am trying to be extra gentle with the new set. I just picked up a silkied Serama pullet to go with my cockerel though so I feel less pressure about the eggs.

I found some more irresistible eggs on Craigslist yesterday and lavender Orpington eggs too... I just CAN'T. STOP. HATCHING.
big_smile.png
Oh, my! I know. I just... can't ... stop... hatching, either! Just won six Silkie eggs from Ebay. I know it is hard to hatch shipped eggs, but they are not coming from too far away and I will do my best with them. So excited to fire up the incubator again! We have never had Silkies and they sound so sweet. Glad to be able to join an October Hatch-A-Long.
smile.png

Very exciting that you have a breeding pair lined up and should have your own hatching eggs soon.Good luck with all your hatching!

Yes, the temp have been dropping in the night. I'm a night owl, so I'm watching the indoor/outdoor thermometer. I just added a picture of my 3 Aussies from the eggs I hatched out back in April that I had bought from Kurt's Rattlesnake Ridge line. The roo would be the daddy to the eggs that I now have in the incubator if I have good ones where he hit his mark. They were going in and out from under the misters, so the water changed the coloring to yellow in spots.
Very pretty birds! I am glad they are staying cool!

Oh, my!  I know. I just... can't ... stop... hatching, either! Just won six Silkie eggs from Ebay. I know it is hard to hatch shipped eggs, but they are not coming from too far away and I will do my best with them. So excited to fire up the incubator again!  We have never had Silkies and they sound so sweet. Glad to be able to join an October Hatch-A-Long. :)

Very exciting that you  have a breeding pair lined up and should have your own hatching eggs soon.Good luck with all your hatching!

So fun! Silkies are awesome! I always say they are puppies with feathers!

So just to be confusing, I am hatching Silkied Seramas and Silkies! I told my mom I would call the silkied Seramas "whispy " chickens to avoid confusion. ;)

Silkied Seramas are Seramas with feathers like a Silkie! See photo : ). I have this little guy in my lap right now, he needs snuggling before bed...

For silkies, I have black, lavender, paint and one cuckoo roo, one blue hen and one isabel (I think/hope) hen. Many of the mare showgirls, which I do find adorable... As chicks and hens anyway. I got 6 Silkie eggs today, the most ever in one day. I may have to consider NOT hatching them all.

Here are some of my Silkie babies, but they are a few months old now...

So fun! Silkies are awesome! I always say they are puppies with feathers!

So just to be confusing, I am hatching Silkied Seramas and Silkies! I told my mom I would call the silkied Seramas "whispy " chickens to avoid confusion.
wink.png

Silkied Seramas are Seramas with feathers like a Silkie! See photo : ). I have this little guy in my lap right now, he needs snuggling before bed...

For silkies, I have black, lavender, paint and one cuckoo roo, one blue hen and one isabel (I think/hope) hen. Many of the mare showgirls, which I do find adorable... As chicks and hens anyway. I got 6 Silkie eggs today, the most ever in one day. I may have to consider NOT hatching them all.

Here are some of my Silkie babies, but they are a few months old now...

Oh, what a fabulous flock you have! Puppies with feathers...
love.gif
They are so pretty. The Silkied Serama is adorable, too. Sounds like your beautiful birds are making more beautiful birds at a rapid rate! I just built another brooder yesterday and another coop today, to cope with my hatching obsession.

Oh, what a fabulous flock you have!  Puppies with feathers... :love   They are so pretty. The Silkied Serama is adorable, too. Sounds like your beautiful birds are making more beautiful birds at a rapid rate!  I just built another brooder yesterday and another coop today, to cope with my hatching obsession. 

Thank you! I love all my birds but yes they do tend to multiply.

I am selling all the Silkie chicks I hatch now and people are loving them.

Nice job on the new coop and brooder! I won't tell you how many I have... :oops:

I did turn down piglets today so I can be proud of myself.

Well, I candled the eggs tonight. Some of the eggs look like there is something inside while others still look like just an yolk in there. I put the lid back on the incubator, and I'll wait a few more days and see if anything is different.

Hahaha mine looked just like that when I had misters. Yours are beautiful. I have a swamp cooler now but it just broke, it's always breaking. It's great though for them, they stand in front of it with their feathers in the cool breeze meanwhile we're on patio dying, joking, must be nice.

Back
Top Bottom