October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

Going to have a staggered hatch. Went to "window shop" at a poultry meet and bought a pair (I hope) of bcms, about 4 weeks old so hope my pullet guess was on... also noticed someone selling ameraucanas- who had an 18 pack of hatching eggs. Went away and then came back right when they were packing up. Paid for 6 eggs and they gave me all 18. Gave 6 away to someone who had the same thought as me but had a bad hatch rate last time. Didn't have space for 18 eggs anyhow

Ahhhh I didn't know I could enter but so excited my mommy duck has hatch so
far two ducklings out of 12 eggs the pictures don't really show the ducklings well lol she nearly took off my hand to say the least lol she gonna be a great momma

Last edited:
Day 13 and I checked air cells. They are getting bigger, so I assume that's a good sign. The chicks are getting bigger too. I finally tossed the one that wasn't fertile. It definitely had nothing in it. The other four seem healthy and active. Here's hoping they make it to hatch. :)

Thanks for the advice guys! I have such limited time at night with 4 kids but I managed to candle 2 rows in that auto turner, that thing is new to me and I'm scared in the dark to drop one. I went through the first 13, seeing shadows, excellent air cells and veins but so impossible in my darkest eggs, except air cells which look good. Then I question myself and come upon #14. Absolutely clear. This reassures me that I know what I'm looking at and I'll do the rest later. I didn't mark air cells just noted and pulled obvious clear. Sound good? Thanks

Going to have a staggered hatch. Went to "window shop" at a poultry meet and bought a pair (I hope) of bcms, about 4 weeks old so hope my pullet guess was on... also noticed someone selling ameraucanas- who had an 18 pack of hatching eggs. Went away and then came back right when they were packing up. Paid for 6 eggs and they gave me all 18. Gave 6 away to someone who had the same thought as me but had a bad hatch rate last time. Didn't have space for 18 eggs anyhow

Awesome deal on eggs! Fill up that incubator!! ;)

Thanks for the advice guys! I have such limited time at night with 4 kids but I managed to candle 2 rows in that auto turner, that thing is new to me and I'm scared in the dark to drop one. I went through the first 13, seeing shadows, excellent air cells and veins but so impossible in my darkest eggs, except air cells which look good. Then I question myself and come upon #14. Absolutely clear. This reassures me that I know what I'm looking at and I'll do the rest later. I didn't mark air cells just noted and pulled obvious clear. Sound good? Thanks

Sounds like a plan! It is easier to identify the good in contrast to the bad/clear!

Cute chicks!! Do you still have more eggs?
I gather 6 day's eggs up at a time.
I made 2 styrofoam incubators.
One has my homemade low tech egg roller I pull from side to side a few times a day.
The eggs are suspended over a water container(plastic silverware trays) which is filled when I take out/candle /add eggs every six days.

The other unit I use to put the 18 day old eggs in "still" until they hatch.

My still hatcher is a little more high tech. It has a Zoo Med Reptifogger Terrarium Humidifier that runs off a sensor set at 65%.

This was my first batch after my hens stopped laying from heat and molt. My spring born pullets are just now starting to lay.
This batch had a total of 7 eggs and went into the incubator on 9/10/16, I checked the unhatched eggs - 3 quit but were developed at least 16 days.
They went into the still hatcher on 9/28/16 to hatch on October 1 Hatch-A-Long!

Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/04/16 to hatch on 10/07/16 - had 10 eggs (2 yolkers at 1st candling) so now 8.
Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/10/16 to hatch on 10/13/16 - had 14 eggs (1 yolker) so now 13.
Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/16/16 to hatch on 10/19/16 - has 13 eggs.
Next batch will go into the incubator 10/04/16, the still hatcher on 10/22/16 to hatch on 10/25/16. 10 eggs gathered so far.
Next batch will go into the incubator 10/10/16, the still hatcher on 10/28/16 to hatch on 10/31/16 ending hatch-a-long with Halloween chicks!
celebrate.gif

oops edited cause I left out a group!
ep.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom