October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

I gather 6 day's eggs up at a time.
I made 2 styrofoam incubators.
One has my homemade low tech egg roller I pull from side to side a few times a day.
The eggs are suspended over a water container(plastic silverware trays) which is filled when I take out/candle /add eggs every six days.

Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/04/16 to hatch on 10/07/16 - had 10 eggs (2 yolkers at 1st candling) so now 8.
Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/10/16 to hatch on 10/13/16 - had 14 eggs (1 yolker) so now 13.
Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/16/16 to hatch on 10/19/16 - has 13 eggs.
Next batch will go into the incubator 10/04/16, the still hatcher on 10/22/16 to hatch on 10/25/16. 10 eggs gathered so far.
Next batch will go into the incubator 10/10/16, the still hatcher on 10/28/16 to hatch on 10/31/16 ending hatch-a-long with Halloween chicks!
celebrate.gif

oops edited cause I left out a group!
ep.gif
Wow!! That's a whole lot of hatching going on!! I have a Silkie hatch set for 10/20, so I am right there with your almost-last hatches.
big_smile.png

I gather 6 day's eggs up at a time. I made 2 styrofoam incubators. One has my homemade low tech egg roller I pull from side to side a few times a day. The eggs are suspended over a water container(plastic silverware trays) which is filled when I take out/candle /add eggs every six days. The other unit I use to put the 18 day old eggs in "still" until they hatch. My still hatcher is a little more high tech. It has a Zoo Med Reptifogger Terrarium Humidifier that runs off a sensor set at 65%. This was my first batch after my hens stopped laying from heat and molt. My spring born pullets are just now starting to lay. This batch had a total of 7 eggs and went into the incubator on 9/10/16, I checked the unhatched eggs - 3 quit but were developed at least 16 days. They went into the still hatcher on 9/28/16 to hatch on October 1 Hatch-A-Long! Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/04/16 to hatch on 10/07/16 - had 10 eggs (2 yolkers at 1st candling) so now 8. Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/10/16 to hatch on 10/13/16 - had 14 eggs (1 yolker) so now 13. Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/16/16 to hatch on 10/19/16 - has 13 eggs. Next batch will go into the incubator 10/04/16, the still hatcher on 10/22/16 to hatch on 10/25/16. 10 eggs gathered so far. Next batch will go into the incubator 10/10/16, the still hatcher on 10/28/16 to hatch on 10/31/16 ending hatch-a-long with Halloween chicks!:celebrate oops edited cause I left out a group!:eek:
I see... You DO have a few more eggs. ;) I made my own incubators also, a few styrofoam and one cabinet incubator. I have to incubate most of my eggs in the cabinet to get them to loose enough moisture! It has two fans. I am hatching weekly too. I was hoping to get a bunch of eggs today but I don't think it's going to happen. I like to set them on the weekends because I keep them for at least a week before I sell them.

Last edited:
My current hatch is over... Here are some of my babies, I still have a couple in the incubator and I had three that were terribly malpositioned and didn't make it. That may be from not turning them enough... Sometimes it just happens. I have four showgirls and several silkies, one paint chick, no paint showgirls yet, but maybe next time!

I gather 6 day's eggs up at a time. I made 2 styrofoam incubators. One has my homemade low tech egg roller I pull from side to side a few times a day. The eggs are suspended over a water container(plastic silverware trays) which is filled when I take out/candle /add eggs every six days. The other unit I use to put the 18 day old eggs in "still" until they hatch. My still hatcher is a little more high tech. It has a Zoo Med Reptifogger Terrarium Humidifier that runs off a sensor set at 65%. This was my first batch after my hens stopped laying from heat and molt. My spring born pullets are just now starting to lay. This batch had a total of 7 eggs and went into the incubator on 9/10/16, I checked the unhatched eggs - 3 quit but were developed at least 16 days. They went into the still hatcher on 9/28/16 to hatch on October 1 Hatch-A-Long! Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/04/16 to hatch on 10/07/16 - had 10 eggs (2 yolkers at 1st candling) so now 8. Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/10/16 to hatch on 10/13/16 - had 14 eggs (1 yolker) so now 13. Next batch will go into the still hatcher on 10/16/16 to hatch on 10/19/16 - has 13 eggs. Next batch will go into the incubator 10/04/16, the still hatcher on 10/22/16 to hatch on 10/25/16. 10 eggs gathered so far. Next batch will go into the incubator 10/10/16, the still hatcher on 10/28/16 to hatch on 10/31/16 ending hatch-a-long with Halloween chicks!:celebrate oops edited cause I left out a group!:eek:
Wow, that's a lot of hatching! Great system and those are some cute chicks.
My current hatch is over... Here are some of my babies, I still have a couple in the incubator and I had three that were terribly malpositioned and didn't make it. That may be from not turning them enough... Sometimes it just happens. I have four showgirls and several silkies, one paint chick, no paint showgirls yet, but maybe next time!
Love those fluffy babies!

Awh so cute! Good luck with them.

I've had my temp at 100.5°f since it's a still air and that's what I originally read it should be at. Now I'm seeing people say 101-102. Should I up the temp? It's day 14, there's only 4 eggs, and I keep them in the center of the incubator, though I do swap their spots around sometimes.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan! It is easier to identify the good in contrast to the bad/clear!

Yes! I candled 2 more rows this morning and the last 2 rows this afternoon. It rained all day which was a perfect day to do it. I found a blood ring, which I pulled and a couple that looked a little underdeveloped which I'll leave for now. Otherwise like 37 awesomely developed eggs! Very surprising every time.

I've had my temp at 100.5°f since it's a still air and that's what I originally read it should be at. Now I'm seeing people say 101-102. Should I up the temp? It's day 14, there's only 4 eggs, and I keep them in the center of the incubator, though I do swap their spots around sometimes.

With so few eggs you could add little jars with water and lids to hold heat in case there's cold spots and then probably increase the temperature a degree, I always ran my still air at 102. I'm running my forced air around 100, maybe even 101 because there's a cold corner for some reason that runs around 98.

Yes! I candled 2 more rows this morning and the last 2 rows this afternoon. It rained all day which was a perfect day to do it. I found a blood ring, which I pulled and a couple that looked a little underdeveloped which I'll leave for now. Otherwise like 37 awesomely developed eggs! Very surprising every time.

That's a lot of chickies!!

Yaaaaaaaaay. Past the half way point. Day 11 now. On day 17/18 I'm going to have to move the incubator 10 mins down the road to dads house then go into lockdown..... hope they will still live! On day 2 i moved it too mums house and they all survived so i think they should be alright

Back
Top Bottom