October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

Oh that is great for the kids to see the chicks hatch! I have never heard of fall break though. My kid is homeschooled so he is home all the time. He doesn't care much about the hatching but he does get excited about all the fluff butts in the brooder! A little too excited sometimes.
wink.png
We are not allowed to hatch chicks in our classroom - I would love to have the school children enjoy that. Fluffy chicks are very exciting for all!

One pipped about 3 and a half hours ago and hasn't progressed! I am growing impaitient! How dare it keep me waiting Hehe nah kidding i cannot wait:weee

Just in general, I have noticed that chicks need about 12 hours after an external pip and 24 hours after a wrong end pip to absorb their yolk and be ready to hatch! Sometimes they hatch sooner, but remembering this helps me be patient.

So far 5 out. But total disaster just happened! The sensor got pooped on, making it register super low 95.5 and kept pumping out heat and my other 2 thermometers were reading 112!! So I had no choice but to open it and clean off the poop and then it registered 105. The humidity of course dropped to 50% so I poured cold water into the channels through the vent holes. Then not 10 minutes later a chick is asleep on the sensor and it reads 101.5 and the other gauges are reading 96! Wow. I had to open again! (at least humidity crazy high by then at 80%) and put the dang sensor up by taping the excess to the lid. Why didn't I do this before?! Are they wrecked? There's 30 left, many with external pips. This crazy temp fluctuations were over the course of a half hour. I'm glued to the thing so I can't believe this would happen.

I'm so excited for mine to hatch.maybe they will do good since they they go into lockdown sunday.wich is my moms 42 birthday on the 42 week of the year

Back
Top Bottom