October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

So far 5 out. But total disaster just happened! The sensor got pooped on, making it register super low 95.5 and kept pumping out heat and my other 2 thermometers were reading 112!! So I had no choice but to open it and clean off the poop and then it registered 105. The humidity of course dropped to 50% so I poured cold water into the channels through the vent holes. Then not 10 minutes later a chick is asleep on the sensor and it reads 101.5 and the other gauges are reading 96! Wow. I had to open again! (at least humidity crazy high by then at 80%) and put the dang sensor up by taping the excess to the lid. Why didn't I do this before?! Are they wrecked? There's 30 left, many with external pips. This crazy temp fluctuations were over the course of a half hour. I'm glued to the thing so I can't believe this would happen.

I don't know what to tell you, but that I hope that they make it for you.
fl.gif

So far 5 out. But total disaster just happened! The sensor got pooped on, making it register super low 95.5 and kept pumping out heat and my other 2 thermometers were reading 112!! So I had no choice but to open it and clean off the poop and then it registered 105. The humidity of course dropped to 50% so I poured cold water into the channels through the vent holes. Then not 10 minutes later a chick is asleep on the sensor and it reads 101.5 and the other gauges are reading 96! Wow. I had to open again! (at least humidity crazy high by then at 80%) and put the dang sensor up by taping the excess to the lid. Why didn't I do this before?! Are they wrecked? There's 30 left, many with external pips. This crazy temp fluctuations were over the course of a half hour. I'm glued to the thing so I can't believe this would happen.

Oh no! I have had the same thing happen with a wet chick or wet paper towel on the sensor. I put the sensor on the wall so it is less likely to happen.

Eggs take quite some time to heat up and cool down so while the incubator was having wild fluctuations, the eggs did not experience such extremes! Hang in there, I hope they are okay. Chances are good that they did not heat up that much.

OK. Thanks guys. I have 3 more since then. So cool. It's awesome to watch. The kids are loving it, it's basically our adventure for today. And mother in law came too. I gave a lady I don't know 2 dozen eggs for free for her school project, I love that kids get to experience it.

uPsIDE DoWN ChICk UPDATE:

After laying on his side all day and looking like he would die any minute; he got up and started to walk around. I now have guarded hope. The sad part is I almost pulled the plug three times. I hate watching them suffer; but I left him alone. We will see how determined he is. He was determined to ask for help by pipping his own breather hole on the wrong end. He was determined to rest until he could muster the strength to stand. He is very small compared to the others.

this morning 10/14/16 at 7:30am

Last edited:
[COLOR=FF0000]uPsIDE DoWN ChICk UPDATE: [/COLOR]

After laying on his side all day and looking like he would die any minute; he got up and started to walk around. I now have guarded hope. The sad part is I almost pulled the plug three times. I hate watching them suffer; but I left him alone. We will see how determined he is. He was determined to ask for help by pipping his own breather hole on the wrong end. He was determined to rest until he could muster the strength to stand. He is very small compared to the others.
[COLOR=005CB1]
[/COLOR]
That is perseverance! Nice chicks!

Back
Top Bottom