October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

Yay! More blue, right? Was there a photo of the first ones that I missed?

My silkies should start tomorrow too!!

Yes, they will be some more of the Blue Australorps. I didn't take pics of the first 4 chicks yet. They are 4 days old now and all 4 are eating and drinking good, with no pasty butts. Gary said that we need to buy a new battery for his dsl camera. The battery is dying as it is 9 years old. What a time for it to go out, huh?

Edited: I will sell all of these chicks that are hatching to someone who is local to me.

Last edited:
Yes, they will be some more of the Blue Australorps. I didn't take pics of the first 4 chicks yet. They are 4 days old now and all 4 are eating and drinking good, with no pasty butts. Gary said that we need to buy a new battery for his dsl camera. The battery is dying as it is 9 years old. What a time for it to go out, huh?

Edited: I will sell all of these chicks that are hatching to someone who is local to me.

I will stop pestering you! I was terrible about photos before I had my iPad. The blue are so pretty!

I have one blue Silkie hen and sometimes I think about finding her a splash boyfriend!

I think I have pretty good chicken intuition! I kept thinking I needed to go out and check my Silkie coop. The cover for that coop came down in the immense rain we had last night. I got out there and it was fine, but I remembered that I did not close up the little Serama coop where my girls are sitting on a few eggs. I looked in there and one of the eggs was out in the cold! It looks okay, I just put it back under them. It only has a few days left, so I am super glad I found it!!

I will stop pestering you! I was terrible about photos before I had my iPad. The blue are so pretty!

I have one blue Silkie hen and sometimes I think about finding her a splash boyfriend!

I don't know if the silkies are like the breed that I have or not, if they are a blue with a splash will have 50% blue, and 50% splash hatchings.

I don't know if the silkies are like the breed that I have or not, if they are a blue with a splash will have 50% blue, and 50% splash hatchings.

Yes, I think the blue, black and splash with silkies works the same way!! I have a black roo, so I have gotten a couple blue babies, but I would love to get splash!

The rooster for all them is Americana and there was 6 bovan x, 1 buff Orpington x and, 1 bantam. When I candled them 5 of the bovan were developing and the buff Orpington. I will post a pic in 8 days on hatch day

Then try going blue to blue. If the color genetics works like mine, then blue to blue will give you 50% blue, 25% black, and 25% splash.

If I do it, I probably won't be patient enough to raise my own blue to mate with her. I saw a beautiful splash rooster once, but I bought the cuckoo instead. We'll see, I probably don't NEED to start another color pen!! I did see someone with a bunch of really nice young splash boys but they are a bit far away.

Last edited:
If I do it, I probably won't be patient enough to raise my own blue to mate with her. I saw a beautiful splash rooster once, but I bought the cuckoo instead. We'll see, I probably don't NEED to start another color pen!! I did see someone with a bunch of really nice young splash boys but they are a bit far away.

Well, if you really want to get one, then keep looking and you might find someone closer to you that may have some. Maybe you could do a wanted post in the Buy, Sell, and Trade section here.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom