October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

I have a few silkies out! I am helping this one...

Last edited:
I have a few silkies out! I am helping this one...

How's the chick doing? I always find it nerve racking when you have to assist hatch them. That part of the reason why I only really hatch ducks- I always had terrible hatches with chickens and loads of problems and cockerels, but using the same meathod with ducks I've had a 100% hatch rate so far.

How's the chick doing? I always find it nerve racking when you have to assist hatch them. That part of the reason why I only really hatch ducks- I always had terrible hatches with chickens and loads of problems and cockerels, but using the same meathod with ducks I've had a 100% hatch rate so far.

That is interesting, usually ducks are harder for people! Might depend on your climate. I had to build an incubator with two fans to get my duck eggs to loose enough moisture. I works for my Silkie eggs too.

The chicks I help often make it. You just have to give them time. You can't help too much or you kill them, you just hope for the best.

That is interesting, usually ducks are harder for people! Might depend on your climate. I had to build an incubator with two fans to get my duck eggs to loose enough moisture. I works for my Silkie eggs too.

The chicks I help often make it. You just have to give them time. You can't help too much or you kill them, you just hope for the best.

What humidity do you aim for? I run mine at 52% and 65% at lockdown but I suppose my climate is very wet- it rains almost constantly here in the Lake District. :(

What humidity do you aim for? I run mine at 52% and 65% at lockdown but I suppose my climate is very wet- it rains almost constantly here in the Lake District. :(

I get mine as low as possible and it still isn't low enough. My cabinet is at about 16%, although my hygrometer does not seem to read below that, so it may be lower. If I incubated at 50 to 60% I would have a zero hatch rate.... In fact, that is what my very first duck incubating attempt amounted to.

Just an update on my group 1, and group 2 hatches on my Blue Australorp chicks:

Group 1: All 4 that hatched out in that batch are active, and eating and drinking good. It was a 100% hatch rate.

Group 2: 8 out of the 9 eggs hatched out. The 9th one looked like it outgrew the egg, and suffocated inside. 7 of the 8 are now in the brooder with the 4 from group 1. The last one that hatched is still in the incubator resting and drying off.

I had a total of 12 hatchlings from both of the groups combined. They are the blues, but in various shades of blue.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom