October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

I have two out now. I had to help one this morning. Noticed the pip yesterday morning and let it be until this morning. Knew it had been more than 24 hours as there was no pip when I checked the incubator at 3:00 early Monday morning and checked it at 7 both days before leaving for work. Good thing I helped. It was starting to turn sticky on me from not hatching. This one seems much smaller and weaker than its hatch mate. (Love the camera on my new phone btw)https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/1...WnKL8oN_9IV_BbedaObqr1ihWDDzZabCpdRQhICRoUo8M

That is interesting, usually ducks are harder for people! Might depend on your climate. I had to build an incubator with two fans to get my duck eggs to loose enough moisture. I works for my Silkie eggs too.

The chicks I help often make it. You just have to give them time. You can't help too much or you kill them, you just hope for the best.
Best of luck with your assisted chick!
fl.gif

Just an update on my group 1, and group 2 hatches on my Blue Australorp chicks:

Group 1: All 4 that hatched out in that batch are active, and eating and drinking good. It was a 100% hatch rate.

Group 2: 8 out of the 9 eggs hatched out. The 9th one looked like it outgrew the egg, and suffocated inside. 7 of the 8 are now in the brooder with the 4 from group 1. The last one that hatched is still in the incubator resting and drying off.

I had a total of 12 hatchlings from both of the groups combined. They are the blues, but in various shades of blue.
That is an excellent hatch rate! Congratulations on all your little hatchlings.
smile.png

That is an excellent hatch rate! Congratulations on all your little hatchlings.
smile.png

Thank you! I plan to run an incubator full of the Australorp eggs towards the spring (all one big group though). By then, I will have not only the blue ones, but my splash pullet who just started laying should have bigger eggs by then. So, her with my splash boy will be making more of the splashes.
wink.png

Seven Silkie eggs in are lockdown. Just came home from work and one has an external pip already on Day 19! This is the paint egg that had a chick wiggling like crazy on Day 14. It seems to be extra vigorous. No cheeping, though. Maybe s/he is resting after making that pip?

Hoping all will be well.

Seven Silkie eggs in are lockdown. Just came home from work and one has an external pip already on Day 19! This is the paint egg that had a chick wiggling like crazy on Day 14. It seems to be extra vigorous. No cheeping, though. Maybe s/he is resting after making that pip?

Hoping all will be well.

Yes, it could be resting. It's hard work for them trying to get out of those eggs. Good luck!

Just an update on my group 1, and group 2 hatches on my Blue Australorp chicks:

Group 1: All 4 that hatched out in that batch are active, and eating and drinking good. It was a 100% hatch rate.

Group 2: 8 out of the 9 eggs hatched out. The 9th one looked like it outgrew the egg, and suffocated inside. 7 of the 8 are now in the brooder with the 4 from group 1. The last one that hatched is still in the incubator resting and drying off.

I had a total of 12 hatchlings from both of the groups combined. They are the blues, but in various shades of blue.

Congrats great hatch!!!

Back
Top Bottom