October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

Oh, my!  One of my chicks with a big, saddle-shaped air shell just exploded out of the egg. Yay for another healthy chick!! Two other chicks have been very slowly pipping and starting to unzip over the last 12 hours, in a most genteel fashion. Cassius has been rocking for an hour with no visible pip.... I leave the room for 15 minutes, and come back to find that chick tumbling out of its shell! 

Very happy with my little Korean incubator and my shipped eBay eggs. Three vigorous chicks so far... 

What an entrance!

What incubator did you get, out of curiosity? I thought you had a Brinsea.

What an entrance!

What incubator did you get, out of curiosity? I thought you had a Brinsea.
(Up in the middle of the night with hatching chicks...)
I have a Yosoo Janoel 10 mini incubator, about $55 on Amazon. It works beautifully for me, as long as I make sure it is wrapped and in a draft-free room. Of the 7 fertile eggs, all 7 have either hatched or are unzipping right now. Yay!

Cassius, the entrance-maker, is not as active as the other chicks. His hairdo is glued down on his head, also. Is that an indication of a somewhat 'sticky' chick, I wonder? He did have a challenge, with that giant, misshapen air cell, poor guy. Or gal.

Cobweb hatched at midnight, and is a very loud chick, with teeny, sickle-shaped tail streamers.

Oberon is half-hatched, so I may make a cup of tea and stay up.

Poor Caesar had the air cell at the smaller end of the egg, and pipped in the middle. The pip looks red-stained around the membrane. However, Caesar is cheeping, so must be getting air, I guess. I feel I'm not experienced enough to help, so I am leaving the last two chicks alone.

Charmian pipped 24 hours ago, and is very slowly making progress.

I will be a sleepy teacher tomorrow!

(Up in the middle of the night with hatching chicks...)
I have a Yosoo Janoel 10 mini incubator, about $55 on Amazon. It works beautifully for me, as long as I make sure it is wrapped and in a draft-free room. Of the 7 fertile eggs, all 7 have either hatched or are unzipping right now. Yay!

Cassius, the entrance-maker, is not as active as the other chicks. His hairdo is glued down on his head, also. Is that an indication of a somewhat 'sticky' chick, I wonder? He did have a challenge, with that giant, misshapen air cell, poor guy. Or gal.

Cobweb hatched at midnight, and is a very loud chick, with teeny, sickle-shaped tail streamers.

Oberon is half-hatched, so I may make a cup of tea and stay up.

Poor Caesar had the air cell at the smaller end of the egg, and pipped in the middle. The pip looks red-stained around the membrane. However, Caesar is cheeping, so must be getting air, I guess. I feel I'm not experienced enough to help, so I am leaving the last two chicks alone.

Charmian pipped 24 hours ago, and is very slowly making progress.

I will be a sleepy teacher tomorrow!
celebrate.gif
jumpy.gif

Candled my day 14-15 batch last night a bunch of crazy air cells some saddled oversized etc.... Ugh lockdown isn't until Sunday but of 18 out of 19 r active and moving like crazy!! Added more water to up the humidity a bit hope that helps... I am running 2 of Janoels right now too they seem to working great overall but I'm monitoring w/ a calibrated external thermometer too the sensors aren't the best...

Candled my day 14-15 batch last night a bunch of crazy air cells some saddled oversized etc.... Ugh lockdown isn't until Sunday but of 18 out of 19 r active and moving like crazy!! Added more water to up the humidity a bit hope that helps... I am running 2 of Janoels right now too they seem to working great overall but I'm monitoring w/ a calibrated external thermometer too the sensors aren't the best...
Sounds like you are doing all you can for a successful hatch with what you've got. Great that 18 are bouncing around!!

Oh my gosh! They're so sweet. You're making me miss my silkies now. Congrats!
Thank you!
love.gif
They are sweet - my first silkies! I am so happy.

Oberon has pushed out and is wearing his turtle shell.

Tiny Charmian has her beak out and is waiting. If she makes it, too, I will have one lavender, three white, two black and a paint(?) - which looks silvery.

How was your experience with silkies? Sounds like you enjoyed them.

Jealous about the silkies. Picked up an eBay plastics incubator and the heating element is too small. Luckily I was just using it for lockdown. I lost about 8 eggs in the thing. I did get 5 guinea meets for my aunt, though. My ameraucana eggs and Ayam cemani are staying in the hovabator. I am thinking ill just lock down the AC eggs 3 days early, as lockdown for them is on Sunday. The ameraucanas lock down tonight, though. Safest to lock down all at once? I could try taking out some of the egg racks in the turner, but the ameraunca chicks might get caught under the other racks. Think I'll just lock them all down tonight in the safe incubator.

I am going to use the stupid plastic one for parts. My father has some ideas on making it better for me when he visits me next.

Edit: stupid auto correct.

Last edited:
I absoloutely loved them! They were great pets with very sweet personalities. Mine also layed quite a lot. I had a ton of tiny tan eggs. Mine would come running to meet me, and eat grapes from my hand. Congrats on your pretty chickies :)

Back
Top Bottom