October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

One bad leg is better than two!! I am sure you have them on a non-slip surface, I remember seeing the shelf liner in your incubator : )
Good memory! Yes, I put rubberized and textured shelf liner in the incubator. I have layers of paper toweling in the brooder. The other chicks are fine.

I am really worried about this little black Silkie. I finally got a bandage to brace the legs and stay on... but the little fellow now falls on its face or stumbles backwards, and gets pecked at by the others. It's generally a strong and energetic baby, but this leg problem may lead to other issues, such as not getting enough to eat and drink, or getting bullied or squashed by six other chicks.

Well, after carrying the little half-spraddled Silkie around with me and feeding it boiled egg yolk, I came across the chick-in-a-cup idea. So, it is back in the brooder, tucked in a little cup with paper toweling, brace still on. Maybe an overnight in a cup will help out. At least it won't get pecked and trampled.

Well, after carrying the little half-spraddled Silkie around with me and feeding it boiled egg yolk, I came across the chick-in-a-cup idea. So, it is back in the brooder, tucked in a little cup with paper toweling, brace still on. Maybe an overnight in a cup will help out. At least it won't get pecked and trampled.
worked for me before. The chick I did that with is now one of my aunt's favorite pullets.

Lockdown today I just checked a few I haven't turned since Thursday night to give them and their crazy air cells more time to settle and position hope it works. Loaded up the water now it's just a waiting game... Ugh my favorite
1f61d.png
1f601.png

Lockdown today I just checked a few I haven't turned since Thursday night to give them and their crazy air cells more time to settle and position hope it works. Loaded up the water now it's just a waiting game... Ugh my favorite
1f61d.png
1f601.png
Find something wonderfully distracting to do this weekend! My shipped eggs with crazy air cells all hatched, so it's possible. Best of luck to you
fl.gif

1f61d.png
1f601.png
I start lock down today too! I have not hatched in several years, so I am very nervous! 18/20 made it to lockdown. The 2 culls were infertile. No quitters or blood rings this hatch! A first for me! Yay. This time I am doing dry incubation. Getting my humidity up is hard.

Good luck. I hope you have good news in a few days. How many eggs did you set?

Back
Top Bottom