October 2016 Hatch-A-Long!!

Crazy chicken Lady status is a badge of honor! Wear it proudly and good luck with your eggs. What are you hatching? Soon we will be moving over to the November hatch a long if you care to join us there :)
don't temp me. Been collecting my own eggs for a week trying to decide if I should try them for the first time. They are from a pullet and young duck hens, though. Better to wait until a year old before trying?

So far with my Indian Runners, 4 have hatched wee.gif and 1 has externally pipped last night. I had to help a malpositioned duckling out, which had externally pipped 48 ago and it's doing really well!

I'll post pics later once I move them to the brooder. :)

That's what my son came home to today lol
Lol, pampered poultry!

Actually, I have realized that I love having chicks in the house for a week after hatching... and then I don't love having them in the house. I still love them! Just not in the house.

So, I moved the Silkies out to the barn last night. They have a mini coop and a lower wattage heat lamp. The cute thing is, the Black Copper Maran pullet and the baby peahen cuddled up right next to the mini coop near the Silkie chicks. I am sure they were just getting in on the heat lamp, but they added extra insulation/warmth for the chicks with their feathery bodies, and I think the chicks felt comforted to have someone hennish nearby.

Of course I had to head out to the barn before dawn to check on them - they were just fine, not huddled. So, the guest room will be available... for my November hatchlings!
gig.gif

I knew I staggered the setting. Was shocked when one took and didn't want her to be alone. She hatched 10/27 and I have 2 that are pipped!! I got nervous and candled the remaining 4 last night. It looked like 2 had internally pipped so I was relieved to see 2 pip today. One is the same momma (grey Brahma bantam) /daddy (light Brahma mix). These are from my flock. So excited to see the second one. I wonder if they will look identical? :)

Here's Vicki Chickie. She was born on my sisters bday so she named her. Lol

I knew I staggered the setting. Was shocked when one took and didn't want her to be alone. She hatched 10/27 and I have 2 that are pipped!! I got nervous and candled the remaining 4 last night. It looked like 2 had internally pipped so I was relieved to see 2 pip today. One is the same momma (grey Brahma bantam) /daddy (light Brahma mix). These are from my flock. So excited to see the second one. I wonder if they will look identical?
smile.png

Here's Vicki Chickie. She was born on my sisters bday so she named her. Lol
Sweet chick! Happy birthday to both Vickis.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom