October hatch along?!?!

How often do yall candle...

I'll candle on day 7 and 10 and 18...(if I don't have early hatchers again)

After doing this a few times...
I realize I don't need to candle on day 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 and 18 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I enjoy watching them in the egg though and seeing what's changed day to day..
I candled day 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18 on my first hatch with broody. But for this last hatch i did day 7 and day 15.

Following along. I may miss out on October but I did just put my frizzle Polish cross rooster with some Polish hens so will see if I get some fertilised eggs out of them. I'm also testing my Marans but he's not very "active" yet and only two Marans hens really show interest in him, although my OE and Barnevelder seems pretty keen with him

Following along. I may miss out on October but I did just put my frizzle Polish cross rooster with some Polish hens so will see if I get some fertilised eggs out of them. I'm also testing my Marans but he's not very "active" yet and only two Marans hens really show interest in him, although my OE and Barnevelder seems pretty keen with him
Crossing my fingers for you!!!

I'm hatching! October's a normal time for hatching for me 😅
First batch is day 18 tomorrow, I've got 7 Barnevelder/Sussex eggs and a family member has 9 Polish eggs in there too.
Second batch was only set Wednesday, that's 13 Silkes eggs (hoping some are fertile, cause the last ones weren't :fl), 3 pure Sussex and 8 more Polish.

I'm hatching! October's a normal time for hatching for me 😅
First batch is day 18 tomorrow, I've got 7 Barnevelder/Sussex eggs and a family member has 9 Polish eggs in there too.
Second batch was only set Wednesday, that's 13 Silkes eggs (hoping some are fertile, cause the last ones weren't :fl), 3 pure Sussex and 8 more Polish.
We will have the same hatch date!! I set on Wednesday too..

Last time they started hatching 2 days early... so I guess we shall see 😆

How often do yall candle...

I'll candle on day 7 and 10 and 18...(if I don't have early hatchers again)

After doing this a few times...
I realize I don't need to candle on day 3, 5, 7, 10, 15 and 18 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I enjoy watching them in the egg though and seeing what's changed day to day..
I've been weighing my eggs because the first set was so damaged from shipping. I can't go by the 7-14-18 day air sac position because they are saddled. They could not have been packed any better but the usps done a number on them!
I read on this site about the "cool-down" that happens when a broody hen gets off the nest to eat drink and do her business so I figure it won't hurt to weigh and candle the eggs every day as long as I keep it under 30 minutes, plus I totally LOVE watching them grow and move inside the eggs!!

I just hatched my last batch of the year a few weeks ago. I usually don't hatch this late in the year but I just felt like doing a small group
20230904_123844.jpg

20230925_184648.jpg

Y'all... Lemony Snicket's series of unfortunate events has nothing on me!! Sorry it's so long

So... yesterday someone wrecked and took our power out! I had to get the generator up and running, as soon as possible. It's in the building, behind 3 Harleys and it's huge! It's on wheels but still...! I recently had surgery on my arm so I had to be very careful. I called Hubby but he's on a roof over an hour away and with traffic from the accident, I couldn't risk the chicks.

I moved my bike and one of his enough to get the generator outside. I gather up a few heavy duty extension cords, figured out how to crank the generator, plug everything in and Woohoo!! Incubators have power!! Yayyyy!!!

By this time, 30 minutes has passed. Good deal. I just won't weigh tonight and count this as the 30 minute cool-down time. I'm still a little worried about the eggs but that's just the way I roll 🤷‍♀️

This is were it gets fun!

Within minutes of sitting down, (of course) the power comes back on. I have no idea how much gas is in the generator, but I know there's no way I can handle a 5 gallon gas can with my bum arm if it runs out, so I plug the bators back into the wall sockets, go out and cut off the generator. I left everything as it was, just in case!

On my way back in, just walking through the yard that I spend most of my day in, and I roll my ankle. Bad! I manage to crawl inside and grab an ice pack on the way to the couch. My 100lb pitty and 80lb bully think Mom is playing a new game and they want in on it!!

A couple hours later, hubby gets home and just shakes his head lol. Off to the hospital we go! 5 hours and an air-cast later, we finally make it home. With crutches. That I can't use. That walk from the truck to the front door was the longest walk of my life! lol

So here I am, stuck on the couch and tonight at 9:00 will be day 17 for my first set of eggs. 4 tiny silkies. Normally I'd checking the eggs every time I pass (a lot), keeping an eye out for pips but since I can't do that right now I'll put them on lockdown before I go to bed, just in case! lol
I'm using a govee in the incubator so figure if the humidity spikes I need to go watch

Happy Hatching everyone!

Back
Top Bottom