October hatch along?!?!

They're hatching already!!! Two days early! :wee
I went over to candle them tonight (first time) from both broodies, and Betsy already had a little wet, white chick under her! They weren't due until Wednesday. Two more have externally pipped, two have internally pipped, and two more waiting to see. I pulled four clears - but three of those might have been from another hen sharing her nest. I can't wait to see what the morning brings!

Abigail still has four eggs that appear to be fully developed; her hatch is due by this weekend. I pulled one clear - again, probably from that other hen. Two more were only about a week along (laid late, again, that other hen!) - but I do NOT care to incubate just two and raise them in a brooder, so over the fence they went. 😢 So sorry, Abby!

I'll post pics tomorrow, if I can get some!

Oh my goodness, how are you doing now?
I am mending, slowly! lol Thank you for asking. I am bored out of my skull!! I have not been outside in days!

I got 4 eggs on day 18 & lockdown and 12 more on day 10. I stopped turning the 4 and raised the humidity a day early, just in case. Because I can't walk and talk on the phone at the same time!:wee:lau🤕

I hatched 3 chicks with a broody hen, 2 black Silkie mixes and one easter egger mix (almost splash in color!)

P.s, what's happening here? She had a rough hatch. I wish I had before pictures, as it's gotten a lot smaller since last night. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_092613_974.jpg
    IMG_20231003_092613_974.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 11
I am mending, slowly! lol Thank you for asking. I am bored out of my skull!! I have not been outside in days!

I got 4 eggs on day 18 & lockdown and 12 more on day 10. I stopped turning the 4 and raised the humidity a day early, just in case. Because I can't walk and talk on the phone at the same time!:wee:lau🤕
Glad to hear you're on the mend even if it's slowly!

Fingers crossed for you hatch

P.s, what's happening here? She had a rough hatch. I wish I had before pictures, as it's gotten a lot smaller since last night. Thanks!
I appears she's just still absorbing the last bit of yolk. That umbilical cord will dry up and separate when it's ready. As long as there are no active blood vessels in it and it's drying up, it's safe to cut it with sharp scissors.

These chicks always worry me when it happens; I fear they'll get tangled up and rip their navel or bleed out. So far, it hasn't happened. I've been cutting the cord as soon as it looks transparent (no blood), or just pull it loose from the shell and let it fall off naturally.

They're hatching already!!! Two days early! :wee
I went over to candle them tonight (first time) from both broodies, and Betsy already had a little wet, white chick under her! They weren't due until Wednesday. Two more have externally pipped, two have internally pipped, and two more waiting to see. I pulled four clears - but three of those might have been from another hen sharing her nest. I can't wait to see what the morning brings!

Abigail still has four eggs that appear to be fully developed; her hatch is due by this weekend. I pulled one clear - again, probably from that other hen. Two more were only about a week along (laid late, again, that other hen!) - but I do NOT care to incubate just two and raise them in a brooder, so over the fence they went. 😢 So sorry, Abby!

I'll post pics tomorrow, if I can get some!
Another of Betsy's eggs hatched overnight - two down, five to go!

I appears she's just still absorbing the last bit of yolk. That umbilical cord will dry up and separate when it's ready. As long as there are no active blood vessels in it and it's drying up, it's safe to cut it with sharp scissors.

These chicks always worry me when it happens; I fear they'll get tangled up and rip their navel or bleed out. So far, it hasn't happened. I've been cutting the cord as soon as it looks transparent (no blood), or just pull it loose from the shell and let it fall off naturally.
Thanks! It mostly came off, and I sniped the rest.

Me too! I was worried about her all night. She's standing up and peeping, so I plan on bringing her back to momma and siblings very soon! (once the navel clears up a bit, I'm worried momma might peck it)

Thanks! It mostly came off, and I sniped the rest.

Me too! I was worried about her all night. She's standing up and peeping, so I plan on bringing her back to momma and siblings very soon! (once the navel clears up a bit, I'm worried momma might peck it)
I'd put her back ASAP. She needs to be back with mama within the first day, else mama might reject her.

Back
Top Bottom