October hatch along?!?!

I hatched 3 chicks with a broody hen, 2 black Silkie mixes and one easter egger mix (almost splash in color!)

P.s, what's happening here? She had a rough hatch. I wish I had before pictures, as it's gotten a lot smaller since last night. Thanks!
Give it some time as long as its still moving one of mine hatched with the blood vien attached and she is doing great at 5 days pld!

Still going on today.... Betsy has hatched 3, but squashed one. She also squashed an egg in the process of zipping. :( Still two survivors, and three eggs to go.........
1696370015956.png

I'd put her back ASAP. She needs to be back with mama within the first day, else mama might reject her.
I tried earlier, but the other chicks kept pecking her navel. Shes also not very mobile. The mom is super sweet, and has raised/adopted + raised 10-15 chicks, so I'm not worried about that. Plus, mama and chicks are already up and exploring and this chick wouldn't be able to keep up with them.

Shouldn't she be walking already? She keeps falling on her side, and then just going to sleep.

I tried earlier, but the other chicks kept pecking her navel. Shes also not very mobile. The mom is super sweet, and has raised/adopted + raised 10-15 chicks, so I'm not worried about that. Plus, mama and chicks are already up and exploring and this chick wouldn't be able to keep up with them.
Shouldn't she be walking already? She keeps falling on her side, and then just going to sleep.
Yes, she should be up. Falling on her side isn't a good sign. She's weak, but all is not hopeless. But you have choices:

(1) Treat her alone in a brooder, fingers crossed she makes it - then: (1a) Once she has her strength, steal one or two of the other chicks to raise in the brooder with her until they are old enough to be released into the flock. (1b) It's unlikely she'll ever be accepted by Mom, but you can try - once she's strong and healthy, sneak her under mom at night - but be up with them at the crack of dawn to check. If you're lucky, mom won't know the difference or won't mind. Unlucky and you're back to the brooder again, or you have a dead chick.

(2) Let nature take its course; she'll probably die fairly soon. Or cull her now before she suffers a lingering death.

If you choose to treat her, here's what I would do: I'd make a teacup/chick sling for her to hold her upright (lots of videos on how to do this), and get some Vitamin E with selenium into her, electrolyte water, and try to feed her egg yolk mixed with chick starter. You could also treat her with Nutri-Drench or similar, that's packed with vitamins she needs to overcome this.

So sorry you and chickybaby are going through this.

Yes, she should be up. Falling on her side isn't a good sign. She's weak, but all is not hopeless. But you have choices:

(1) Treat her alone in a brooder, fingers crossed she makes it - then: (1a) Once she has her strength, steal one or two of the other chicks to raise in the brooder with her until they are old enough to be released into the flock. (1b) It's unlikely she'll ever be accepted by Mom, but you can try - once she's strong and healthy, sneak her under mom at night - but be up with them at the crack of dawn to check. If you're lucky, mom won't know the difference or won't mind. Unlucky and you're back to the brooder again, or you have a dead chick.

(2) Let nature take its course; she'll probably die fairly soon. Or cull her now before she suffers a lingering death.

If you choose to treat her, here's what I would do: I'd make a teacup/chick sling for her to hold her upright (lots of videos on how to do this), and get some Vitamin E with selenium into her, electrolyte water, and try to feed her egg yolk mixed with chick starter. You could also treat her with Nutri-Drench or similar, that's packed with vitamins she needs to overcome this.

So sorry you and chickybaby are going through this.
Thank you! I'll try treat her I think. I have nutri-drench and I'll give her that. I definitely will try give her back to mom once shes strong. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom