October hatch along?!?!

Pics
Progress update: Betsy lost her last chick, as in found dead under her. 😢
Abigail lost one of two that hatched so far; it was found near the coop entrance, with a bloody and swollen head. Pecked to death by one or both of the other two chickens in this space. So she has one chick left, and the last four eggs (may or may not be alive).

So... I evicted Betsy from the hutch and small pen. I moved Abigail with her chick and eggs to the hutch nesting box, so they are protected from the rest of the flock now. She settled right in, while Betsy flung herself against the fence and complained about being locked out.

I'm not at all interested in incubating or brooding chicks this fall, so Mother Nature is in control of the situation. I doubt the other eggs will hatch, so I hope this one little chick survives.

If and when they go broody again, I *may* let they try one more time - in separate, enclosed spaces. Definitely going to incubate a batch or two in the spring, though.

All 4 little cuties! The last to hatch looks like it has a vaulted head.

Attachments

• C4D920B3-433E-4FC5-8999-321EC0FA39AA.jpeg
    C4D920B3-433E-4FC5-8999-321EC0FA39AA.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 3
  • 926CBF9A-66D3-4ABA-9ECA-E9B1DE22BE42.jpeg
    926CBF9A-66D3-4ABA-9ECA-E9B1DE22BE42.jpeg
    403.1 KB · Views: 2
  • AD5DCAD4-BCD5-423F-AB1C-6BEE3B465590.jpeg
    AD5DCAD4-BCD5-423F-AB1C-6BEE3B465590.jpeg
    397.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 66A67CBC-EECF-4F69-9728-D66566EEA2CE.jpeg
    66A67CBC-EECF-4F69-9728-D66566EEA2CE.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 4
Progress update: Betsy lost her last chick, as in found dead under her. 😢
Abigail lost one of two that hatched so far; it was found near the coop entrance, with a bloody and swollen head. Pecked to death by one or both of the other two chickens in this space. So she has one chick left, and the last four eggs (may or may not be alive).

So... I evicted Betsy from the hutch and small pen. I moved Abigail with her chick and eggs to the hutch nesting box, so they are protected from the rest of the flock now. She settled right in, while Betsy flung herself against the fence and complained about being locked out.

I'm not at all interested in incubating or brooding chicks this fall, so Mother Nature is in control of the situation. I doubt the other eggs will hatch, so I hope this one little chick survives.

If and when they go broody again, I *may* let they try one more time - in separate, enclosed spaces. Definitely going to incubate a batch or two in the spring, though.
I'm sorry you're down to one lil chick. I hope Abigail does well with it and the other eggs are still kicking!

I thought I'd do an update on my chicks!

The last one went back with Mama and its siblings, and is doing great! I ended up with 3 chicks out of 5 eggs (One didn't hatch, and the other got cracked early on.) two little silkie mixes, and one little easter egger mix!

Not to shame other hens 🤣, but I must say I'm very proud of this mama. She's a black australorp, and this is her 12th, 13th, and 14th chick. She's only 2!

I poked a safety hole in that last egg, and it's ALIVE!
I missed the air sac (side-saddled) and poked her in the neck I think, made a little smear of blood. Peeled a little shell to expose the beak, she's breathing and chewing, and the rest of the membrane looks like she's ready to pop! Oh my goodness. Popped that egg back underneath Abigail mama along with her already 5-day-old chick and crossed my fingers. I'm amazed that mama is still willing to sit. I'll go check again in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom