October hatch along?!?!

Pics
I poked a safety hole in that last egg, and it's ALIVE!
I missed the air sac (side-saddled) and poked her in the neck I think, made a little smear of blood. Peeled a little shell to expose the beak, she's breathing and chewing, and the rest of the membrane looks like she's ready to pop! Oh my goodness. Popped that egg back underneath Abigail mama along with her already 5-day-old chick and crossed my fingers. I'm amazed that mama is still willing to sit. I'll go check again in a few hours.
Ooohhh fingers crossed for the little one!!!

I poked a safety hole in that last egg, and it's ALIVE!
I missed the air sac (side-saddled) and poked her in the neck I think, made a little smear of blood. Peeled a little shell to expose the beak, she's breathing and chewing, and the rest of the membrane looks like she's ready to pop! Oh my goodness. Popped that egg back underneath Abigail mama along with her already 5-day-old chick and crossed my fingers. I'm amazed that mama is still willing to sit. I'll go check again in a few hours.
How's the chick doing?

I put 12 on lockdown tonight. Keeping my fingers crossed for the chickies

:fl

Final count from the first batch is 6 Sussex X and 7 polish. Update on the second batch is all the silkie eggs were clear, again :hit the rest are doing well though.
And one of my hens, Spices, started brooding Thursday. As of today she has a dozen eggs, 9 are her's, 3 are silkie eggs hopefully fertilised by my other silkie roo :fl
Now the first incubator is empty and cleaned, considering setting another batch🤭

How's the chick doing?
The final survivor of 18 eggs set: One. Meet mama Abigail and her baby chick:

1696949467564.png

She squashed the last egg that was just about ready to hatch. :( But this baby is very lively and 6 days old already - so hopefully she will be alright.

The final survivor of 18 eggs set: One. Meet mama Abigail and her baby chick:

View attachment 3656307

She squashed the last egg that was just about ready to hatch. :( But this baby is very lively and 6 days old already - so hopefully she will be alright.
Aww! They even match in color right now!!

Question:
Last hatch my chicks started hatching 3 days early (pip on day 18. Hatched the next) I went to put them in lock down and discovered the pip.

I am thinking abt starting lock down maybe Friday instead of sunday.....since I didn't mess with temp to change things..and am running a dry hatch just the same as last time...

What would you do...

The will technically go into lockdown on sunday... would moving it up a day or 2 hurt them??

Back
Top Bottom