odd chicken

dlgower

Songster
6 Years
Mar 4, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
Hi,
This is my first time with chickens. So I have one that is acting odd. she is a Salmon Faverolles and she is sitting on the nest alot
making odd noices, and her vent is moving alot. I checked and i do not feel a egg, but she wants to be on the nest. she growls like a dog and screams at me. i took her out of the nest, she ate some and drank some but not as much as normal. any help PLEASE.

Thanks Debbie

Hi,
This is my first time with chickens.  So I have one that is acting odd.  she is a Salmon Faverolles and she is sitting on the nest alot
making odd noices, and her vent is moving alot.  I checked and i do not feel a egg,  but she wants to be on the nest.  she growls like a dog and screams at me.  i took her out of the nest,  she ate some and drank some but not as much as normal.  any help PLEASE.

Thanks Debbie
I'm new to this too but sounds like she could be trying to go broody.

Yes, that is a broody hen. Broody hens want to hatch eggs and raise the chicks. It's mainly hormone driven and hens will sit on the nest even if nothing is in it If you have or can get some "fertile" eggs to put under her, she will probably hatch them for you.

Broody hens get very protective of their eggs , even if they are invisible. They will fluff up, growl and even bite if you come near them. Some are such dedicated sitters that they won't even budge to go eat/drink/ poo. You have to put them out 2 or 3 times a day so they can take care of those needs. There have been broodies that starved too death because they won't leave the nest.

You could put "Broody hen" in the search box and find more info.

Back
Top Bottom