Odd Cochin chick

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I went to give away 3 roosters.While in return I got 4 cochin chicks.Supposedly 3 hens,and possibly one may be a roo.

I already sorta made a bond,just within a day and half.They like to sleep in coat for warmth,so of course they scream when I leave.So I noticed the roo was kinda going crazy so went out there to comfort him,and as I used my chick,chick,chick,he started peeping to me as if he was calling "Me" over to food,which is never a good thing,but I couldn't yet tell whether it was forwarded towards me or his 3 girls (He sometimes will make peeping calls out to them and they come and scratch and eat together.Of course they too will call each other over to food too,it's just what chicks do when they do not have an actual mother I guess.

Anyways,how do you punish a 8 week old chick?I know young roos' should not be showing you where the food is,so what do I do?

You don't. Don't ever punish a chicken; they aren't quite smart enough to get it. The only time a chicken should be "punished" is when a roo attacks you, but even then, all you do is kick them back (not super hard) and hold your ground. Even if there was an adult roo in his flock, he wouldn't get "beat up" till he started mounting the hens. If he's a roo, especially a banty roo, then he is probably just growing up faster than normal. I've had a roo start crowing at four weeks, so at 8 weeks he's probably just an early bloomer. If you're lucky he'll grow up and take especially good care of his flock if he's already starting to learn now.

I hope so.By punish I just meant making him stop,like pushing him away whenever he does it,or just throwing some water on him.But for now as long as he keeps his distance and stays sweet,i'll like em.

I did see how well banties took care of their girls,hope he is just like them.

No, unless you think he means it as a challenge, then don'tdo anything to him. If you were going to get after him for being a brat, then make sure he know's it's you. Tap him with your hand or boot, don't throw water on him. He'd just think it was raining!
tongue.png

Oh belive me I know. When sis came in and said that Fowler crowed at four weeks, i didn't belive her. Then he squwaked for me two week later, and i was like,
th.gif
Stupid rooster. He was so pretty, but he was dumb as a box of rocks. Come to think of it, he should be eaten before he gets freezer burn....

I have a mature roo who tries to call me over to the treats. He's never been aggressive aggressive towards me. He makes sure the girls know when I'm coming and then he does a little prance until I throw treats down. Then he calls me. I think it's a "thank you, lets share" kind of thing. He's the only male left out of that group as I don't tolerate a mean rooster.

Back
Top Bottom