VanessaN

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2017
Hi Everyone!

I have some odd happenings going on in my coop. My chickens and my ducks co-run our coop. My mama duck is sitting on a nest right now which is super exciting. We candled our eggs resently and noticed that they are almost full so we know it won't be to much longer. So here are the odd happenings.

My mama duck recently moved her nest in our coop. She moved it from in front of our laying boxes to by the door and yesterday we noticed most of her nest outside. We are not sure if they got accidentally knocked down the ramp or if she moved them because they were not cracked and there was shavings built up around them.
Next:
I think my chickens have been picking out some of her eggs and eating them and the babies inside... is that normal?
Also:
This morning on of my hens attacked my mama duck. ????? IS that normal?

What do I need to do to keep at least some eggs in the duck nest? We started with 15 and are down to 8.
Will the chickens eat the ducklings once they hatch?

Thank you all for your help!

Separate out any setting hens. The chickens will eat all the eggs, they will also kill the ducklings. More than likely when the duck gets off the nest to eat and drink the chickens attack and scatter her eggs and eat what they can. All setting mothers need protection from other birds.

Back
Top Bottom