Of ducks and dogs and other things that want to eat them.

eggybritches

Songster
10 Years
Sep 12, 2009
Central Florida
My ducks found out that I wanted to take daily pictures of them so of course they started molting. And they look absolutely pitiful. So I've not made them suffer from publicizing their embarrassing coats to the internet. Instead they've had days filled of eating the backyard in peace. No paparazzi.

And everything has been going fine. It's been a nice lazy weekend. This week is the first time I've ever let the dogs and the ducks out together. For the past few days they've been living amicably outside BY THEMSELVES which, believe you me, was the hardest thing for me to let happen. But I did it, because I bought the house because it had a nice yard for the dogs. The ducks came later.

Anyway. My doberman was running around going crazy so I ran outside dreading the worse. And this is what I saw.

tumblr_kux611JaH21qap99no1_500.jpg

Which looks fine. The dog is in the back, the ducks are in the front.

But wait... What's that Caesar? There's a problem? What ever could you mean?

tumblr_kux6asNMVE1qap99no1_500.jpg

Oh, right. The giant redtailed hawk that is bigger than your head is eyeballing your ducks. Nice.

I only freaked out mildly. I herded the ducks toward their pen, which was also towards the hawk, brandishing a heavy duty rake. I was willing to bop a hawk in the head if need be, but he flew away when he saw the crazy lady coming at him hollering and waving a rake in his direction. Smart bird...

I'm so proud of my dog for getting after the hawk though. <3

Last edited:
Good job, Caesar! Somebody is getting some treats tonight! Do you mind if I borrow your dog for a while? My idiot dogs never pay attention to aerial predators. Maybe Caesar can come over and have a word with them?
tongue.png

AWWWWWWWWWWW! I have a double team. My one smaller dog mothers the ducklings and herds them around, then my old fat dog barks at anything in our yard - flying or on the ground.

Good dog! This is one of those situations where my AirSoft gets used for more than just chucking rubber pellets at a target on the wall (the other is when the dogs chase the car, LOL). Doesn't cause the predator any harm, but they sure feel it and it freaks them out that you can "get" them from so far away!

Back
Top Bottom