Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween Hatch-Along

Pics
Two more today! That makes 6/8 olive Eggers, with a seventh egg pipping. Sadly no Ayam Cemani hatchers 😭. Eggs must've been a bit too old before I set them.
Got a brooder set up outside, with a heating pad, in the well house which has to have a heater running anyhow for the plumbing so is warmer than my barn.

Attachments

• IMG_20201101_072304073.jpg
    IMG_20201101_072304073.jpg
    364.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201031_170903396.jpg
    IMG_20201031_170903396.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201031_170834355.jpg
    IMG_20201031_170834355.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201031_170801418.jpg
    IMG_20201031_170801418.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 5
Where did you get your Bresse, I haven't had good luck with hatching bresse, this time 3 out 14 hatched and last time 2 out 12 and another 14 due to hatch in 10 days. I know I should have left them in the egg carton but I couldn't turn them 3 or 4 times a day.
From a friend in Southern California. He bought his from Greenfire Farms as chicks.
Both times I’ve had him ship me eggs they've done well.

The incubator I have turns them. This maybe something that’s causing your hatch rate. Turning exercises them and keeps them from sticking to eggshell inside. Egg carton for me is just personal preference. Some like it some don’t.

Temps and humidity I run at are 100.5 and 40% till lockdown then 60%
Danger with higher temps you have to know your thermometer is spot on. It’s actually running cooler than I like this time at 99.9. But I wasn’t going to mess with raising it without knowing what the next adjustment up did. Next time.
The egg under the chick has now hatched.
Nothing yet from the 5 Pita Pintas they are my biggest concern this hatch as the hens have stopped laying. I’m afraid all our smoke this year has got to them. Tough to put a mask on them.

From a friend in Southern California. He bought his from Greenfire Farms as chicks.
Both times I’ve had him ship me eggs they've done well.

The incubator I have turns them. This maybe something that’s causing your hatch rate. Turning exercises them and keeps them from sticking to eggshell inside. Egg carton for me is just personal preference. Some like it some don’t.

Temps and humidity I run at are 100.5 and 40% till lockdown then 60%
Danger with higher temps you have to know your thermometer is spot on. It’s actually running cooler than I like this time at 99.9. But I wasn’t going to mess with raising it without knowing what the next adjustment up did. Next time.
The egg under the chick has now hatched.
Nothing yet from the 5 Pita Pintas they are my biggest concern this hatch as the hens have stopped laying. I’m afraid all our smoke this year has got to them. Tough to put a mask on them.
I haven't had any problems with hatching in my 2 NR360s, except for the Bresse, 12 of the 14 showed development then I took them out of the egg carton on day 7 to use the automatic turner (they went from up right to laying down) development stopped. I guess I'll have to get another incubator for the Bresse in order to keep them up right. I also keep my temp at 99.8 and humidity at 40% until lock down. Thank you, I'll have to check out Greenfire farms.

I haven't had any problems with hatching in my 2 NR360s, except for the Bresse, 12 of the 14 showed development then I took them out of the egg carton on day 7 to use the automatic turner (they went from up right to laying down) development stopped. I guess I'll have to get another incubator for the Bresse in order to keep them up right. I also keep my temp at 99.8 and humidity at 40% until lock down. Thank you, I'll have to check out Greenfire farms.
They are worth the trouble when you get them established. Wife prefers them over all other breeds we’ve had. Of the ones hatched do you have a pair? Or are they too young yet.

If I were using an egg carton, I would either take them out earlier or later than day 7... I’d either want the chick larger or smaller to have such a change in conditions.

@SnapdragonQ am I losing my mind or did you work with how to keep your eggs turning while upright in a NR360 this year?

I personally no longer do not turn shipped eggs from day 1. I used to rest inside the incubator and my shipped egg hatch rates have increased exponentially. I’ve read too many scientific articles that say the most important days to turn are the first three. Interestingly I believe the studies also say more eggs will quit if you don’t turn for three days and start turning than if you turn for three days and then never turn again.

If I were using an egg carton, I would either take them out earlier or later than day 7... I’d either want the chick larger or smaller to have such a change in conditions.

@SnapdragonQ am I losing my mind or did you work with how to keep your eggs turning while upright in a NR360 this year?

I personally no longer do not turn shipped eggs from day 1. I used to rest inside the incubator and my shipped egg hatch rates have increased exponentially. I’ve read too many scientific articles that say the most important days to turn are the first three. Interestingly I believe the studies also say more eggs will quit if you don’t turn for three days and start turning than if you turn for three days and then never turn again.

Me I turn/tilt from day one. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom