Ended Official BYC 2021 Summer Fair—Baked Goods Contest

One more thing (NOT an entry!) it’s missing the ingredients, but I love making cookie bars!
I would have made these too but I didn’t have chocolate chips or a bar of chocolate (to make chunks)
F8C539AA-A721-4416-B361-214803D44119.jpeg
2F70195D-BA3C-4C44-BDAB-34AA57156523.jpeg
208F90DF-BB07-4372-988B-D2826E84FF57.jpeg

Remember going to that one particular fair tent and drooling over all the delicious looking pies, cakes, candies and other homemade goodies that won ribbons?

This is your chance to show off your homemade baked creations. Let’s see your blue ribbon worthy baked goods!

The Baked Goods Contest is a judged photo contest.

Rules:

1. All entries must be submitted as a reply to this thread.
  2. Entries must be homemade by the member posting.
  3. A photograph of the ingredients plus a photograph of the finished baked good is required.
  4. A member can have up to 3 entries (only one entry per post please).
  5. No screenshots, watermarks, date stamps, text, etc. on the picture.
  6. High-quality images are recommended.
  7. ALL pictures MUST be uploaded to BYC and not hosted on other image sites, personal websites, etc.
  8. This is a judged photo contest and the winners will be determined by a panel of judges.
  9. Prizes are limited to one per person per contest.
  10. All BYC rules apply - Terms of Service (Rules)
  11. Entries will be accepted until June 30, 2021 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.
Prizes
PlacePrize
First Place$50 BYC Store Gift Certificate or a 1-year PFM ($60 value) for yourself or a friend.
Second Place$30 BYC Store Gift Certificate or a 6-month PFM ($35 value) for yourself or a friend.
Third PlaceA set of 3 chicken cookie cutters (see pictured below) or a 3-month PFM ($20 value) for yourself or a friend.
full

BYC Store Gift Certificates and the cookie cutters are available to winners that reside in the United States. If the winners are outside of the United States they will be awarded the PFM instead.

Official BYC 2021 Summer Fair Contest Series
Click on the pictures to view these other contests!
My daughter and I love to bake. It is fun to make memories. Especially our 10 layer chocolate cake.
PXL_20210130_184411945.jpg
PXL_20210131_004657534.jpg
IMG_20151211_113927345.jpg

Official BYC 2021 Summer Fair—Baked Goods Contest

congrats_5.gif

Congratulations to our winners:
@orloffer, @topochico225, & @HomesteaderWife

First Place - @orloffer
We tried a recipe for galaktoboureko, a Greek custard dessert similar to baklava, yesterday. While the custard didn't turn out to be the right consistency (we used instant cream of wheat instead of fine semolina, which is what was called for), and we added *a bit* too much sugar syrup, it was extremely tasty! In fact, contrary to my expectations, the whole thing has been consumed already!

--
Ingredients:
1624756668203.png
1624756760358.png

--
Finished product!
1624757817626.png

1624757784711.png
PXL_20210625_202934898.jpg

Second Place - @topochico225
My pride and joy, Jordan Marsh's Blueberry Muffins:
115g (1/2 c) softened butter
250g (1 1/4 c) sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla extract
240g (2 c) flour
1/2 tsp salt
2tsp baking powder
120ml (1/2 c) milk
380g (2 c) blueberries (tossed in flour to prevent sinking)
3 tsp sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C or gas mark 5).

2. Cream the butter and 250g (1 1/4 c) sugar until light and fluffy.

3. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla.

4. Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder, and add to the creamed mixture alternating with the milk. Start with adding the dry ingredients and end with adding the dry ingredients.

5. Crush 95g (1/2 c) of the blueberries with a fork and mix into the batter. Fold in remaining whole berries.

6. Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, and fill with batter.

7. Sprinkle the 3 tsp sugar over the tops of the muffins and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden brown, set, and a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.

8. Remove muffins from tin and cool on rack for at least 30 minutes. Store uncovered, or the muffins will be too moist the next day.

Enjoy!

For Europeans, your muffin tins are a touch smaller than American standard muffin tins. Bake at 375 F (190 C or gas mark 5) for 24-26 minutes or until done.

I haven't tried it, but I bet GF flour would work fine in these muffins.
baking photos.JPG

blueberry muffins 3.JPG

blueberry muffins.JPG

blueberry muffins 2.JPG

Blueberry season in Louisiana is here, and I couldn't resist some muffins!

Third Place - @HomesteaderWife
Entry #3 - "Corn Dog" Sugar Cookies
Two funny story tidbits about this. I told my Mother in Law I wanted to make sugar cookies for the BYC fair baked goods category and the conversation went a little something like this.
Me: "I want to make these sugar cookies, but the theme is 'fairs' - what can I make them look like with the icing that is fair themed?"
MIL: "Corn dogs."
Me: "What...."
MIL: "Corn dogs."
Me: "How do I even do that?"
MIL: "I dunno!"

And thus, I made sugar cookies with royal icing that looked like paper plates w/ corn dogs. I loved her idea, challenge ACCEPTED. Then I remembered, oh my gosh, the hand mixer finally conked out. Good thing I saved the metal beaters (don't try at home, lol) - my husband fixed it where I could use the power drill with one of the beaters and saved the day! My ingredients never look in order or presentable, but it doesn't stop it from turning out great. Now they're not pretty, but they taste GOOD. If you like recipes, here's what I've used for a few years: sugar cookies (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/sugar-cookies-recipe-1914697) and royal icing (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/royal-icing-recipe-1941917)

(@N F C - Here are the "corn dogs" I mentioned in the fair foods area!)

IMG_4620.jpg IMG_4622.jpg IMG_4623.jpg IMG_4624.jpg

Thank you to everyone who participated!!

@orloffer, @topochico225, & @HomesteaderWife, I will be in contact with each of you shortly with information on how to claim your prize.

Back
Top Bottom