Ended Official BYC Contest - Chicken and Egg Recipes - Win a BYC Cookbook!

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
This contest is brought to you by our BYC Sponsors
(click to view & support them)

We would like to see more of your great chicken and/or egg recipes in our BYC Community Recipes system, so we are launching a recipe contest for all the cooks out there! We would like to try your favourite chicken and/or egg dish recipes and if we like yours the most, you can win a copy of the The BYC Cookbook!

HOW TO ENTER:

- Head over to the Recipes section (https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/4/Recipes)
- Create a recipe page with a complete list of ingredients, detailed instructions and AT LEAST one good photograph (bonus points if you include more
wink.png
)
- See here for article/member page/coop page writing tutorial: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/953810/coop-pages-and-member-pages-tutorial-and-feedback/0_30
- Reply this this thread with a link to your recipe page.

RULES:

- Only recipes that are based on eggs (or uses a lot of eggs), or chicken dishes will be accepted.
- Only two recipes per entrant will be accepted.
- Absolutely NO COPYRIGHTED recipes/images will be accepted! Please enter only original recipes, created by you, or someone you know (with their permission)

- Recipe pages must include the following: a complete, accurate list of ingredients, detailed instructions and at least one clear photograph of the completed dish.

PRIZES:

1st place - A copy of The BYC Cookbook
2nd place - 3 month PFM for yourself or a friend
3rd place - 1 month PFM for yourself or a friend

**We will announce a deadline for this contest once we have at least 25 entries**

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a great idea. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's entries. I probably won't qualify for the contest, as I don't have a picture of this dish, but here's my favorite recipe to turn that tough old rooster with a lifetime of flavors into a tender delicacy. It's my own version of Corfu Rooster:

Ingredients:
1 rooster, cut into pieces, skin can be removed or left on;
7 garlic cloves, smashed (or more, I usually use a full head);
1 teaspoon cinnamon;
1 teaspoon salt;
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper;
3 or more tablespoons olive oil or lard (or avocado oil if browning using high heat);
1 tablespoon tomato paste (or more);
2 tablespoons red wine or cider vinegar;
2 medium onions halved and thickly sliced;
3 1/2 cups water (or for more flavor, use no water but add 15 oz tomato sauce and 1-2 quarts of raw-pack home canned tomatoes, or high quality commercially canned tomatoes, including the flavorful fluid);
1/2 cup dry white wine (or vermouth or other liquor), (I use Marsala);
1 teaspoon sugar, or an additional 1-2 teaspoons more, if needed to balance acidity of tomatoes;
Fresh toppings if desired (parsley, cilantro, mint, sour cream, Greek yogart, finely chopped onions, roasted garlic, sliced avocado, hummus, etc, whatever direction you want to take the flavor)

Instructions:
Pat chicken dry.
Mix together cinnamon, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
Mix together tomato paste and vinegar in another small bowl.
Using a very large skillet or soup pot, heat oil in pan.
Place chicken pieces in hot oil. Quickly sprinkle half the cinnamon mix on top of chicken, then immediately turn the chicken pieces over and sprinkle the other half of the cinnamon mix on the other side. Brown the chicken, turning it over again to fully brown all sides (the first turn was just to apply the spices -- you could apply them before putting in pan, but it's easier this way). After the meat is browned on all sides, transfer it to a plate.
Add more oil to skillet if necessary and saute onions until golden; about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, saute another minute.
Stir in tomato paste and vinegar mix, saute for another minute.
Add wine and stir to deglaze the pan, which pulls all the flavors up from anything that stuck to the bottom.
Add the tomato sauce and canned tomatoes (or water, if not using tomatoes and sauce) and bring to a simmer.
Stir in sugar, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, tasting sauce after each addition of sugar to determine when the acidity of the tomatoes is properly balanced. After all sugar added, simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
Then add chicken back into pot and simmer, covered, until tender (typically 1-3 hours, depending on how tough the rooster is, or only 35-45 minutes if using a young and tender CX). Most of my 8-12 month old Dorking cockerels take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
If you want to thicken the sauce, transfer the chicken to a platter and boil sauce, uncovered, until it is reduced to desired thickness, stirring frequently (typically 10-20 minutes). I did that the first time, but my husband likes the thinner sauce better so I don't do this extra step now. Season with salt if needed (which it rarely is unless you use unsalted tomatoes, or use water instead of tomato sauce plus canned tomatoes for liquid).

Serve straight, or over your favorite starch (pasta, rice, french lentils, bulgar, cous cous, barley, winter squash, plantains, green peas, etc), or over greens (collards, bok choy, most asian greens, mizuna mustard, beet tops, any greens with a slightly sweet flavor or with only minimal bitterness -- nothing strongly flavored that would interfere with the sauce. Add toppings if desired.

For reasons which will become obvious if you read this, not an entry....

Frankenslice

1 huge zucchini
2 capsicums (peppers)
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
Hunk of ginger (about an inch or so, however much you like)
8 eggs, including some little-chook sized (probably 6 big girls' eggs)
0.5 cup cream
0.5 cup vegetable oil
1 tblsp dijon mustard
1 teasp ground cumin
0.75 teasp ground coriander
salt and pepper, however much you like
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
about 1/8 cup grated parmesan
0.5 cup cooked brown rice (a cup would be better)

Chop the onion, garlic and ginger in the food processor, then add the zucchini and capsicum, chop it all up in the food processor.
Put the rice in the bottom of a slice/lasagne dish, then the chopped veges.
Mix up all the other stuff, pour over (you could mix it all up together if you had any bench space not covered in vege offcuts, but pouring over will still work). Forget to put in a cup of self-raising flour as the base recipe requires.
Bake at 180 degrees celcius, until cooked and brown, and when it would have been set quite firm if you'd put the flour in. Recipe says 40 minutes, but leave it for about an hour and a half for your ancient stove to do its magic.
Have a bit, it tastes pretty good considering you messed it up.
Decide to leave it in the over for it to cool down.
Go back later to find that you haven't turned the oven off, and it's all super-brown and dehydrated.

Serving suggestion: feed it to the chooks.

Back
Top Bottom