Ended Official BYC Contest - Worst Chicken Molt Pictures - Fall/Winter 2015

I love these pictures. I laugh at my girls whenever they molt cause they look so funny. (It's ok to laugh cause it is perfectly natural for them to look like that)
lau.gif

They do free range until dusk. Then I supplement their exposure to light with a light in there coop. Basically the light mimics long days of sunlight.

I don't know if anyone already answered yoyr query but I'll chime in anyway. Last year i supplemented with light in the coop from 4:30pm till 6:30pm and all of mine layed through the Winter (they free range all day). At 16-18 weeks, i think that's the age you said yours were, they are too young to have a full moult. The extra light will help them lay but next year will be your moulting moments! This is my 1st year as all mine from last year are now over 12 months. Hope that helps.

. All other breeds. Our Americana looking pretty crazy taken 10/15/15
welcome-byc.gif

How fun that your first post is a cool picture in a contest! Pretty girl, she must be amazing when she's fully feathered.

It's nice to have you join us
smile.png

She looks like she just had a big sneeze and blew out her feathers! Poor girl, lol.

We had a few hens have a really rough time and stop laying for a while. We started feeding them nutrena feather fixer. It was like magic!!! Their molting time was cut in half and they never stopped laying again. It is high protein and that is what is needed for feathers.

This may sound stupid! I once Hurd there are no stupid questions
1f61c.png
does a chicken grow back there plumage while they sleep ? If I did not supplement light this year . Would that help them get through molting faster?

Back
Top Bottom