Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest—What's Your Hobby?

Pics
Im not sure if this is considered a hobby but I like to try candy bars and add the wrappers to my collection
20221119_123901.jpg
20221119_123916.jpg
20221119_123922.jpg
20221119_123843.jpg
20221119_123850.jpg
20221119_123857.jpg

Hobbies are exciting! Can't wait to see what everyone's is! :D
I have numerous hobbies. I will try to post several. One is working on old sewing machines. There is such a history to them, and often stories about the people who used them.
My mom mostly sewed by hand. My grandmother had a machine, a White, which I now have. She used to sew Barbie doll clothes for my sisters at Christmas time. Growing up, a neighbor, Antdionette, who lived across the street raised her kids working as a seamstress doing alterations for the local Penny's store.
I love the really old Singer machines, but there are so many other wonderful brands.
The ones that were all metal are the best. They will literally run forever when properly cared for, and are fairly easy to work on. The one in the photo is my go to machine. It's a Singer 306K made in Scotland around 1954. The pitfall with working on sewing machines is that you want to save every one from the sewing machine boneyard. I give away some of the ones I fix. One of the exciting things is discovering discarded machines. I once found a Singer 201-2 in a cabinet, by a dumpster and carried it a few blocks to get it home. I find machines left curbside, and even sometimes left on my front step.
There's something about the purr of a well oiled sewing machine producing nice even stitches, that I just can't resist.
1668968091522445833046.jpg

I have numerous hobbies. I will try to post several. One is working on old sewing machines. There is such a history to them, and often stories about the people who used them.
My mom mostly sewed by hand. My grandmother had a machine, a White, which I now have. She used to sew Barbie doll clothes for my sisters at Christmas time. Growing up, a neighbor, Antdionette, who lived across the street raised her kids working as a seamstress doing alterations for the local Penny's store.
I love the really old Singer machines, but there are so many other wonderful brands.
The ones that were all metal are the best. They will literally run forever when properly cared for, and are fairly easy to work on. The one in the photo is my go to machine. It's a Singer 306K made in Scotland around 1954. The pitfall with working on sewing machines is that you want to save every one from the sewing machine boneyard. I give away some of the ones I fix. One of the exciting things is discovering discarded machines. I once found a Singer 201-2 in a cabinet, by a dumpster and carried it a few blocks to get it home. I find machines left curbside, and even sometimes left on my front step.
There's something about the purr of a well oiled sewing machine producing nice even stitches, that I just can't resist.View attachment 3328506

That's a beautiful old Singer!

Your post reminded me of my grandmother teaching us girls to sew by making Barbie clothes. She wouldn't let us kids close to her machine (it was her prize possession), we had to learn how to do it all by hand :D

I'm a whale scientist by day, but have many hobbies, including chicken keeping, photography, and growing dahlias!

Here's my wildlife photography as a hobby entry - humpback whale "Claw" (BCX0749) breaching in Blackfish Sound British Columbia.
  • What is it that you love about this hobby?
    • It's an extension of my job, sharing the beautiful wildlife I encounter with others (Instagram: @Offshoreorca)
  • When do you do the Hobby?
    • Whenever I get a chance! My camera is always along with me.
  • What sacrifices do you make to be able to practice your hobby?
    • Money and time, but it's 100% worth it :)
  • Are you an amateur? An adept? An expert?
    • Technically considered an amateur in the field of photography as this categorization is based on income (and I don't make any money off it), but I'd like to think that I am fairly adept at it!
  • Are you lucky enough that this hobby is part of your job/income?
    • It's an extension of my job, but I have never sold photos beyond the odd calendar or two
AB_30864.JPG

Back
Top Bottom