Ended Official BYC Mini-Contest—What's Your Hobby?

And here's my dahlia growing as a hobby entry - a close-up of the cultivar "Penhill Autumn Shade"

IMG_7310.JPG

• What is it that you love about this hobby?
    • Gardening is extremely grounding and growing something so beautiful is incredibly rewarding
  • When do you do the Hobby?
    • During the summer on windy days, when I'm not out on the water with whales
  • What sacrifices do you make to be able to practice your hobby?
    • Again, money and time - building raised beds, amending them every year, taking care to store the tubers properly over winter
  • Are you an amateur? An adept? An expert?
    • I'm still very much an amateur in this hobby, but watched my father growing them for many years when I was a child
  • Are you lucky enough that this hobby is part of your job/income?
    • I do make a little money from selling bouquets locally, but I definitely put more into it than I currently get out of it

I'm a whale scientist by day, but have many hobbies, including chicken keeping, photography, and growing dahlias!

Here's my wildlife photography as a hobby entry - humpback whale "Claw" (BCX0749) breaching in Blackfish Sound British Columbia.
    • It's an extension of my job, sharing the beautiful wildlife I encounter with others (Instagram: @Offshoreorca)
    • Whenever I get a chance! My camera is always along with me.
    • Money and time, but it's 100% worth it :)
    • Technically considered an amateur in the field of photography as this categorization is based on income (and I don't make any money off it), but I'd like to think that I am fairly adept at it!
    • It's an extension of my job, but I have never sold photos beyond the odd calendar or two
View attachment 3330139

Beautiful photo @Offshoreorca!

And here's my dahlia growing as a hobby entry - a close-up of the cultivar "Penhill Autumn Shade"

View attachment 3330141
    • Gardening is extremely grounding and growing something so beautiful is incredibly rewarding
    • During the summer on windy days, when I'm not out on the water with whales
    • Again, money and time - building raised beds, amending them every year, taking care to store the tubers properly over winter
    • I'm still very much an amateur in this hobby, but watched my father growing them for many years when I was a child
    • I do make a little money from selling bouquets locally, but I definitely put more into it than I currently get out of it

Gorgeous flower color!

My hobby is digital art, a thing I've started to do more this year, I'm not a perfect artist, but I love to just sit in my room after school, in the dark, with loud music, and just draw what I want. I like to see the finished product of things that I draw so I can feel proud of myself if it's good, and improve on if it's bad. When I draw something I usually end up looking at it a week later and saying "wow thats terrible". If you draw as often as I do, your art will improve slightly every day.
I do it purely for my enjoyment, but if I get better I could possibly sell some of the posters I've made. Or if my youtube blows up (unlikely lol) I can monetize.

https://www.deviantart.com/pippinthechicken

IMG-20221116-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20221114-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20221111-WA0036.jpg

My hobby is digital art, a thing I've started to do more this year, I'm not a perfect artist, but I love to just sit in my room after school, in the dark, with loud music, and just draw what I want. I like to see the finished product of things that I draw so I can feel proud of myself if it's good, and improve on if it's bad. When I draw something I usually end up looking at it a week later and saying "wow thats terrible". If you draw as often as I do, your art will improve slightly every day.
I do it purely for my enjoyment, but if I get better I could possibly sell some of the posters I've made. Or if my youtube blows up (unlikely lol) I can monetize.

https://www.deviantart.com/pippinthechicken

View attachment 3331799View attachment 3331800View attachment 3331802

Nice work Pippin!

Back
Top Bottom